AOL Splash Page Epic Vs Evo.... Evo Wins!

Last Updated:

1. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Just looks like another great 4G phone for Sprint. :)

There are A LOT of people who want the keyboard. This thing will sell great.. too bad it's $250... but, it will sell out.

Reviews I read give it the edge over EVO. I like my slab of a phone... and won't get rid of it, yet. :) It's my first smart phone (well, had the Hero for 2 weeks while I waited for EVO release), so it's my first true love. hehe

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Thanks for another one of you're quality posts, BM. /s But, I posted this yesterday in the EVO vs Epic thread.

freeza likes this.
  4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Nice comparison. If people are going to complain about the size of Evo, Epic's not going to win them over either. Introducing this without Froyo is a seismic failure that will marginalize the sales yet again. Not sure who missed on this one, but it's still a miss.

5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I'm not convinced that not having froyo is going to turn off the vast majority of the public. Most people don't give a crap about tech specs like that. They want a phone that looks cool, and can do what they need.

Most of us regulars on the forum are a lot more focused on the tech specs, and we really don't represent the majority of the market who will buy this phone.

I'm predicting the Epic will sell VERY well. If they can keep up with the demand, this could be the phone that breaks all Android sales records.

Connectz likes this.
  6. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

You might be right. I think Froyo's big advantages are Apps to SD and the advantages it offers developers in flexibility now. Limited memory is always going to be a phone issue, so anything that allows developers to offload some of that is huge.

I also see developers working more with 2.2 in mind in the coming months as it's noticeably closer to 3.0 developer specs.

I'm not sold on this phone being that huge though. There are already SS Galaxy S versions on the market, and they're not wowwing the buying public. They will probably break sales records, but all the existing sales records have been stumped by temporary sellouts.

Droid2 lanching with Froyo. No reason SS couldn't have done it. I agree that diehards will know how much more of a difference it makes. But Porsche doesn't make money selling to racecar drivers. They sell to average drivers with resources to buy Porsches. Turns out, average drivers have no idea how to get the most out of the Porsche. That lack of know-how just doesn't seem to stop people from buying them though.

People will want Froyo even if they don't know what it does. And they certainly aren't going buy in masses or be willing to pay SS a $50 premium if the Galaxy S doesn't have it.

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I'd be curious to do an "exit poll" outside my sprint store, and ask everyone that walks out of the store if they even know what "froyo" is :)

I'm pretty darn tech savvy, and I really wasn't following Android when I walked into the Sprint store. I just needed to replace my old-ass blackberry. I also had no clue the Evo was some flagship phone that was in huge demand and sold out.

And naturally, I had no clue what eclair or froyo was. I was, as you put it, the typical porsche buyer. Had the money to spend, and I got the best phone Sprint had to offer.

I think Sprint's version of the galaxy will do better simply because it has 4G. It's a major advantage Sprint has right now over the other carriers. Even if 4G is only sparsely available, it's got people's attention. I think it's one of the main reasons why the Evo did so well, even though I like to tout that the Evo is extremely root-friendly. Most people don't know what rooting is.

People buy cameras simply because the megapixel number is higher. And that's the same reason they will get a 4G phone. Because 4 > 3.

8. fiyah

fiyah Active Member

I am inclined to agree with you here. The larger portion of the market share are more tuned in to the 4G than they are to whatever version of Android it is running. And the rest of the market share that do know what Froyo is also know that an update is likely sometime around the corner.

This phone will sell... if only because of the screen and 4G. The keyboard will be another selling point to some as well.

9. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

I don't really like physical keyboards but the EPIC is a REALLY nice phone. I like my EVO better though.

10. GirlGoneGeek

GirlGoneGeek Well-Known Member

This is just a guess, as I don't know the technical stuff behind it, BUT... 2.1 could be better to start with on the Epic because 2.1 has been rooted on many different devices. Stock 2.2 hasn't been rooted anywhere. We're only getting root on 2.2 now because 2.1 was rooted before and unrevoke4ever let us in to flash 2.2 and keep existing root.

So maybe, since the devs already know their way in and out of 2.1, they could more easily root 2.1 on Epic and thereby set Epic users up for something like unrevoked4ever and get them root access for 2.2.