• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AOSP officially available at xda

I only have one foot in the boat this week with the kids being off for the break. But I did see the last 3 days brought lots of aosp chatter.
Im pleased with the successful progress, myself though I do need/use BT daily and I also receive frequent enough MMS for me to continue to not move over. Im sure by next week things will be more ironed out. Then and when nemesis or someone has a nice uv/oc kernel too.

One question for those who moved already, does the aosp rom have swype in it or will that be lost? I really like the version in clean rom 9

Upvote 0
I only have one foot in the boat this week with the kids being off for the break. But I did see the last 3 days brought lots of aosp chatter.
Im pleased with the successful progress, myself though I do need/use BT daily and I also receive frequent enough MMS for me to continue to not move over. Im sure by next week things will be more ironed out. Then and when nemesis or someone has a nice uv/oc kernel too.

One question for those who moved already, does the aosp rom have swype in it or will that be lost? I really like the version in clean rom 9

No swype so far as of 12/29 aosp

Upvote 0
What is the advantage of having a full AOSP ROM? Is it just something new to try or does it improve things like performance, etc...

Thanks!

#1 Lag is finally gone voodoo or no voodoo :D
select widgets get widgets in a second no more smoke break while you wait.

#1 Drawback No swype ??! I wonder if I can install the swype beta now??

Reactions: wowser
Upvote 0
can we theme this? would i need to wipe before install this over superclean .9 i'm not really trying to wipe right now until a froyo or gb rom comes out but since he made the superclean and thats what everybody uses pretty much or blackhole, it would be able to be themed and flashable with no wipe, that wouldnt suck as much as having to restore and all that ... i've got the process down to a minimum i did it on my n1 so much... lol

Upvote 0
can we theme this? would i need to wipe before install this over superclean .9 i'm not really trying to wipe right now until a froyo or gb rom comes out but since he made the superclean and thats what everybody uses pretty much or blackhole, it would be able to be themed and flashable with no wipe, that wouldnt suck as much as having to restore and all that ... i've got the process down to a minimum i did it on my n1 so much... lol

It is 100% neccessary to wipe data between a tw based rom and aosp....wiping data is no big deal really with titanium backup or mybackup pro....i do it several times a week

And yes aosp or any rom for that matter can be themed....im going to start porting the themes i maintain over to aosp next week

Upvote 0
I wonder if the apparent extra speed of aosp some claim is merely now they dont have multiple launchers running? I for one did see a boost ditching TW completely, I wonder if aosp is actually appreciably faster than what I have running LP+ with extra set as fast as possible?
Obviously I could answer my own question by flashing but for once Im setting on the sidelines for a few more days to watch. I know I've put in more than my fair share of alpha-beta testing for the SF ;)

Upvote 0
Hey Saps, did you renamed TW in root explorer or deleted it?

I'm sure Saps can answer this, but just thought I'd describe what I did (which Saps advised) - I renamed it. Takes longer to reboot the phone than it does to rid yourself of TW.

Back to AOSP:

What will this bring us in the near future? New Roms or ports like Cyanogen? Or do we still need 2.2 for something like that?

Upvote 0
I wonder if the apparent extra speed of aosp some claim is merely now they dont have multiple launchers running? I for one did see a boost ditching TW completely, I wonder if aosp is actually appreciably faster than what I have running LP+ with extra set as fast as possible?
Obviously I could answer my own question by flashing but for once Im setting on the sidelines for a few more days to watch. I know I've put in more than my fair share of alpha-beta testing for the SF ;)

I have a feeling there is more to be done in terms of speed with this rom. It does seem a little quicker for me than tw. I would expect once JT gets all the functionality worked out he will work on the kernel and performance.

Upvote 0
With TW gone on AOSP, does Facebook syncing work properly or is that gone too? I removed TW on 0.9 with a rename, but I've had issues with syncing since and I am not entirely clear on how the Facebook syncing is tied to TW but it seems to be.

Aosp isn't detouchwized its built from source so its not an issue with replacing launchers and sync....that being said i don't sync fb so i can't tell ya if its working or not

And while many of the major bugs are worked out....idk if sync for social networking is or not

Upvote 0
Aosp isn't detouchwized its built from source so its not an issue with replacing launchers and sync....that being said i don't sync fb so i can't tell ya if its working or not

And while many of the major bugs are worked out....idk if sync for social networking is or not

I'm new-ish to the android rooting scene, but approximately how long does developtment, or workign out bugs on these things take? I couldn't believe how fast they got to this point after reading a post by you mentioning it awhile back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones