• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AOSP vs froyo

eppo120

Dec 1, 2010
currently i've just been keeping up with the new superclean roms with the voodoo kernels for 2.2.
i see the AOSP vanilla build, and wondering what are the pro's to using that build over the ones i'm using. i know that everything isnt working yet, and a few of the things that arent working are things that i use. so those are big cons. but the reason for this thread is to find the PRO's for that build?
do people just flash it to try it out? i'm all for open source, so when everything works i'll definitly give it a try, but its not for me right now.
i would just like some info on that build, thats all.
thanks

It's fast. It's super smooth. Quicker than SC (for now). Everything works really well, except for some call volume issues (it's a tad quiet hearing the other person), MMS, camcorder (which I never use), and bluetooth.

Biggest pro I find is that GPS lock is instant. 10x better than EB01 in my experience. I might be a permanent adopter of AOSP for that reason. I just really miss MMS when I am on it. Unfortunately, that sounds like an issue that likely may never be fixed as I have never seen it work on anything other than the Touchwiz roms.

Upvote 0
It's fast. It's super smooth. Quicker than SC (for now). Everything works really well, except for some call volume issues (it's a tad quiet hearing the other person), MMS, camcorder (which I never use), and bluetooth.

Biggest pro I find is that GPS lock is instant. 10x better than EB01 in my experience. I might be a permanent adopter of AOSP for that reason. I just really miss MMS when I am on it. Unfortunately, that sounds like an issue that likely may never be fixed as I have never seen it work on anything other than the Touchwiz roms.

GPS is instant for me on EB01, I dont want to give up MMS or camcorder. I dont use them every day but i do use them......once they get everything working on AOSP ill try it

Upvote 0
BT is what keeps me from using it[aosp]

Yeah, I hear you. For me it is MMS.

However, today I switched to the EB16 kernel, got on SC 2.7.1 and GPS locks instantly. So, i might be finished with AOSP until it gets updated.

I would love it if everything was working, but from what I have read in more experienced people's posts - that isn't likely to ever happen.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I hear you. For me it is MMS.

However, today I switched to the EB16 kernel, got on SC 2.7.1 and GPS locks instantly. So, i might be finished with AOSP until it gets updated.

I would love it if everything was working, but from what I have read in more experienced people's posts - that isn't likely to ever happen.

once source comes, its very possible jt can fix up a lot more stuff in aosp (camcorder most likely) and bt i would think should come at some point too...mms i have no idea, but i was never one for sending/receiving them anyway...and if its that important, someone can post the pic on my facebook or email it to me

and gps is the same for me supeclean/aosp (not that i use that much either)

Upvote 0
It definitely sounds like something i would consider, but I'm the type of person that wants EVERYTHING to work. i use BT all the time in my car, so that has to work. the camcorder is nice every once in a while, and MMS, even though i don't use it that often, i don't want to be in a position, where i wanted to send an MMS and couldn't.
I'm sure eventually everything will work, and that's when I'll make the switch.
i hope the new kernel source becomes available soon, that should move us along faster.
thanks again for all your input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones