• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apex installation question

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
Got a quick question everyone. Just about to install Apex 1.3.1 tonight and here are the instructions:

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Navigate to mounts and storage. FORMAT data, and cache
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

My question is FORMAT data, and cache, does this wipe everything? I was thinking I remember several people posting (even in this thread) that you did NOT have to do a wipe if you used Apex. So, if you don't have to do a wipe, then how do you install Apex without doing a wipe?

Got a quick question everyone. Just about to install Apex 1.3.1 tonight and here are the instructions:

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Navigate to mounts and storage. FORMAT data, and cache
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

My question is FORMAT data, and cache, does this wipe everything? I was thinking I remember several people posting (even in this thread) that you did NOT have to do a wipe if you used Apex. So, if you don't have to do a wipe, then how do you install Apex without doing a wipe?

It is always good to wipe data ....imo ....but for apex a wipe is suggested unless you are already on apex and want to install the new version over the old ....so yes wipe if you are coming from anything other then apex ....and yes it will wipe everything other than your sd card pretty much

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
Appreciate the answer and help! Will try it out and then get everything re-installed or loaded from appbrain.

the market will automatically reinstall any apps you downloaded.

and for anything you side-loaded, use titanium backup. Backup all your apps before installing the rom. Then once the rom is loaded, and the market has reinstalled everything run the "restore missing apps" and it'll restore everything else

Upvote 0
the market will automatically reinstall any apps you downloaded.

and for anything you side-loaded, use titanium backup. Backup all your apps before installing the rom. Then once the rom is loaded, and the market has reinstalled everything run the "restore missing apps" and it'll restore everything else
yes just be careful about restoring data through titanium if you choose to do so,,,i myseld do not since you may be restoring corrupt data and we wipe data upon install for a reason;)

Upvote 0
How does the Market reinstall everything for you...i.e. upon reboot, or do you have to do something to get it started?

Thanks everyone! Great information to know, really cuts down on the headaches. (Fingers crossed) about to do it to it :)

Got Apex installed and running smooth, but now have another question. I pulled down my state bar at the top and it shows 'an update is available'. It does not state what the update is. So, my question, by running Apex, will it still look for Motorola or Verizon updates and do you think that is what that is? Or Does Apex only look for updates from the dev of Apex?

Upvote 0
If you pull down your notification bar and see 'updates available' that is just referring to market updates for apps. Sorry if that's not what you were meaning though.
And the market should just automagically start your downloads.

Yes, that is what I was talking about on the updates..thanks!

The Market has not automatically starting anything :( So, is there a way to force (or make it start) downloading and installing my apps or must I do it one by one. Another thing I have noticed, not all of my purchased apps are showing up under 'my apps'. One I noticed is LPP...don't see it.One other note, the Market only seems to show 'purchased' apps, it does not list any of the free apps I had installed. So, it does not seem that the Market does install ANY apps that are downloaded through the Market, but only (most) of the paid apps.

Oh man, Titanium Backup is so SWEET! I restored all missing apps and two of them with data (they are a little bit of a pain to redo all the data) and all of them are back and working great. Really smooth!

Only thing left now is to get LPP working.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!!!!!

Upvote 0
LPP was purchased through paypal from fede himself. You'll need to find the email he sent you through your paypal email. It will have the upgrade code in it. LPP isn't on the market. You download LP then in the preferences enter your code. can't quite remember where it is in preferences. Once you do that then you'll have LPP.

since your market doesn't show your free apps installed under 'my apps' then you need to restore your market links. Titanium backup pro can do that.

Upvote 0
Got most everything installed, including LPP, found my email and got that fixed. I cannot believe how insanely easy all this was...really!

Rooting was nothing. Installing the Apex ROM was nothing. Re-installing all my apps and the ones I needed with data...it was all so easy and I stressed over this for a week...lol!

If I want to change to a different theme then do I just put that theme .zip file on the SDCard and then what?

One thing I have noticed with Apex is much more battery drain. I took my X off of charger around 8 am today, about an hour later than normal and I would say used it a little bit more than usual, but not much and now at 530 pm, my battery is showing 50%. Usually at this time I am no lower than 70%. I have the Verizon extended battery.

Upvote 0
Got most everything installed, including LPP, found my email and got that fixed. I cannot believe how insanely easy all this was...really!

Rooting was nothing. Installing the Apex ROM was nothing. Re-installing all my apps and the ones I needed with data...it was all so easy and I stressed over this for a week...lol!

If I want to change to a different theme then do I just put that theme .zip file on the SDCard and then what?

One thing I have noticed with Apex is much more battery drain. I took my X off of charger around 8 am today, about an hour later than normal and I would say used it a little bit more than usual, but not much and now at 530 pm, my battery is showing 50%. Usually at this time I am no lower than 70%. I have the Verizon extended battery.
when you go to install a theme always make sure to follow the theme install instructions that the dev of the rom your on posts usually in the first post,,,in apex case
bootstrap recovery
reboot recovery
install zip
choose zip
select for install
when done reboot
now with that being said if i were you make a backup of a clean apex that way when you want to switch themes you restore your clean apex backup and install your new theme ,,,its never good to lay one theme over another as traces of the old one can conflict with the new one,,,also always make sure the theme you want to flash /install is rom specific meaning make sure its built for your rom at the time or you may run into problems

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help!

Got another problem (or question). Been playing with the Apex 1.3.1 and getting everything like I like it on my X and noticed I can't seem to find a GPS widget. Would like to have a different WiFi widget as well. One I am using now is from Beautiful Widgets, don't really like it. Preferred the stock one I had to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help!

Got another problem (or question). Been playing with the Apex 1.3.1 and getting everything like I like it on my X and noticed I can't seem to find a GPS widget. Would like to have a different WiFi widget as well. One I am using now is from Beautiful Widgets, don't really like it. Preferred the stock one I had to it.
you should be able to go to widgets then select power control but if you want a nice customizable panel for multi widgets you should check out switch pro from the market ,,well worth the couple of bucks;)

Upvote 0
you should be able to go to widgets then select power control but if you want a nice customizable panel for multi widgets you should check out switch pro from the market ,,well worth the couple of bucks;)

Thanks a bunch man, been a really big help!

I am just amazed at how easy this stuff turned out to be. :) With the great help in here...really easy!!!

Upvote 0
Got another question. Where are you talking about going to widgets at to select power control?
i cant remember if it was included in apex but longpress on your homescreen then select widgets and power control may be an option and im pretty sure gps is included but not 100% sure thats why i suggested switch pro

Upvote 0
i cant remember if it was included in apex but longpress on your homescreen then select widgets and power control may be an option and im pretty sure gps is included but not 100% sure thats why i suggested switch pro

Ahhh, found it. I looked there a while ago, but I was looking for some kind of a 'setting', didn't realize it was an actual long bar widget. ooops!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Ahhh, found it. I looked there a while ago, but I was looking for some kind of a 'setting', didn't realize it was an actual long bar widget. ooops!

Thanks again!
and like i said at least give switch pro a 10 min trial run (15 min is all you get lol),,,,you can select which controls you want to use ,,,,change colors to match your wallpaper or themes and so on:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones