• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ApeX vs. Fission.

They're bot good. I haven't tried Fission for 2.2.1, but I'm on ApeX for 2.2.1 and I had been on Fission for 2.2. So, I can tell you what I know.

I like ApeX. It's quick and configurable. I am using the ASOP animated gallery. Love it. I LOVE the page transitions. I found that I can overclock a bit higher stably with ApeX than with other Roms. I don't know why, but I can.

Another intangible is Fab's (apex dev) availability. He's available and veeeeeery helpful The support is fabolous. :D

Upvote 0
both are great roms. ApeX is easier to install and runs great. Fission is a great rom as well but you have to be very careful to follow the install guide. i had been running fission and updating to every new version untill the new SBF landed yesterday. i am now running ApeX 1.2 and it seems to be running great. only thing i notice is a lot more Moto processes running in the background.

Upvote 0
I have one rom related question, I know that with fission there is a 2.2.1 and a 2.2.2 version, are these built on the leak or are they just the build #'s.

I downloaded the leaked SBF and the update for the bootloader last night, however I am still holding off for a day or two, I want to try the lastest fission but I want to be able to get back to 2.3.15 for now,

Upvote 0
I have one rom related question, I know that with fission there is a 2.2.1 and a 2.2.2 version, are these built on the leak or are they just the build #'s.

I downloaded the leaked SBF and the update for the bootloader last night, however I am still holding off for a day or two, I want to try the lastest fission but I want to be able to get back to 2.3.15 for now,

just build numbers. you can run them on 2.3.15

Reactions: gio2005
Upvote 0
Fission has seemed to both provide marginally better battery life and rare random reboots, whereas Apex was providing a few soft reboots a day. Some have experienced the same, others have experienced the opposite between the ROMs.. so it may be phone dependent.

The best thing to do is really to try out both ROMs and see which of the two work best for you. With having nandroid backups, it's not really that time consuming to test them both out.

Upvote 0
They're bot good. I haven't tried Fission for 2.2.1, but I'm on ApeX for 2.2.1 and I had been on Fission for 2.2. So, I can tell you what I know.

I like ApeX. It's quick and configurable. I am using the ASOP animated gallery. Love it. I LOVE the page transitions. I found that I can overclock a bit higher stably with ApeX than with other Roms. I don't know why, but I can.

Another intangible is Fab's (apex dev) availability. He's available and veeeeeery helpful The support is fabolous. :D

+1 to this

I also have noticed I can overclock higher on ApeX than on Fission and the best part about ApeX is Fab is always around.

Upvote 0

interesting, how can I test this? I'm on fission 2.2. With the blue theme I have the battery mods, and animations from apex.

I was tempted to switch but I'm not sure. Fission is up to 2.3 as well now but I think it requires the leaked SBF update first.

I did want to point out that fission also has a rom manager app that allows you to download blur applications. That way you can start vanilla and add back elements your missing. One think I did notice what that when I installed I lost swype :(, however the blue theme seems to have loaded it back for me, so I'm happy again. There should at LEAST be an option to download swype in the fission rom manager if they are removing it, but I could not find one.

I have not been able to successfully overclock using any theme yet. When overclocked, the phone seems fine, but as soon as I'm doing multiple things (Listening to podcast, using navigation, and piping it through bluetooth, then get an incoming call; for example) then my phone would spaz out, drop calls, freeze up etc. Although it would run fine for days until I put it to work like this.

Upvote 0
I get higher Quadrant scores with Fission. As for total responsiveness of the ROM, they feel about the same. ApeX with animations turned to fast feels amazingly snappy for me.

Both are incredible. If you like the option of keeping some Blur apps, both roms allow it. I would say Fission is more stripped down to a pure vanilla feel.

*edit*
The latest versions I have used are 1.0.2 for ApeX and 2.2.2 for Fission. I am not on the .320 leak yet. Also, battery life is comprable with the two roms. Fission seems to eat up less battery when the phone is just sitting in my pocket though. I can unplug it at night and in the morning it will still be 100%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones