• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apex vs Nova vs Stock-Which is the better launcher for N7

dportal2006

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2011
I am using the stock launcher at the moment. I have not tried either Nova or Apex but I heard a lot of things about them. I would like to know which one people like better since they both cost money and no sense wasting money. Is it better than the stock launcher?

Better than Go Launcher? I really like go launcher too.

Stock JB rom has a nice feature of things getting out of the way when you add a new widget or rearrange things, but it doesn't support rotate (portrait vs landscape).

Nova reportedly is better for marginal hardware (old devices) and seems to be better at helping restore apps if you wipe and restore via TIBU or similar backup program. It'll have a "tap here" to restore your app.

Apex has merged JB code in their latest beta and appears to be trying to add the JB features all these launchers lack.

Only the stock launcher is missing the rotate feature.

Non-stock launchers have a long-press menu that allows you to add widgets, shortcuts, etc.

Upvote 0
For features I feel apex and nova are about the same so I don't think it makes that much difference.

For me though, I prefer holo launcher HD over apex or nova.
I like stock and holo is the closest thing to it and gives me the only extras I want (rotate home screen and editing home screen icons/names) plus is very lightweight and based on jelly bean

Upvote 0
Stock JB rom has a nice feature of things getting out of the way when you add a new widget or rearrange things, but it doesn't support rotate (portrait vs landscape).

Nova reportedly is better for marginal hardware (old devices) and seems to be better at helping restore apps if you wipe and restore via TIBU or similar backup program. It'll have a "tap here" to restore your app.

Apex has merged JB code in their latest beta and appears to be trying to add the JB features all these launchers lack.

Only the stock launcher is missing the rotate feature.

Non-stock launchers have a long-press menu that allows you to add widgets, shortcuts, etc.

Yeah, I have that beta version of apex and I beleive it uses the stock JB launcher as a base. So it has that new feature where icons move out of your way that you mentioned.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
For me though, I prefer holo launcher HD over apex or nova.
I like stock and holo is the closest thing to it and gives me the only extras I want (rotate home screen and editing home screen icons/names) plus is very lightweight and based on jelly bean

+1 for holo. I've been using it on my phone for awhile and I like it a lot. The scrollable dock with the ability to create folders there is a great feature. Allowing me quick access to all my favourite apps while leaving my home screen uncluttered. Plus definable up/down swipe actions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones