APK Repository

Last Updated:

1. dawynkoop

dawynkoop Active Member This Topic's Starter

Are there any repositories out there of free software apk's to use when cooking custom roms? I've noticed several people add several apps to their roms but I cannot figure out where to get the actual apks.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Get them and pull them from your phone with adb.

3. dawynkoop

I've looked through my system/app folder after installing several apps but I didn't see the apk there. Is there another location apks get copied to when you install an app from the market?

4. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

It's under data/app for apps from the market.

5. dawynkoop

When I browse to the data folder in astro it says the folder is empty.

6. dbzeris

dbzeris Active Member

Astro doesn't have SU permissions to view those folders contents. You need something like Root Explorer, Terminal Emulator or connect the phone to the computer and mount -r to view those folders contents.

dawynkoop likes this.
  7. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Or something groundbreaking!

GOOGLE MAGIC MY FRIEND
    ;)

8. dawynkoop

That did the trick, thanks.

I googled, found one site but a lot of the apks seemed quite a bit out of date. Other than that one site I didn't find much else in google.

9. budabing103

budabing103 New Member

Sorry for the noob question but what does "mount -r" mean?

10. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

wikipedia defines mount as: 9simple google search does the trick in most cases

The Unix command line utility mount instructs the operating system that a file system is ready to use, and associates it with a particular point in the system's file system hierarchy (its mount point). The counterpart umount [sic] instructs the operating system that the file system should be disassociated from its mount point, making it no longer accessible. The mount and umount commands require root user privilege or the corresponding fine-grained privilege, unless the file system is defined as "user mountable" in the /etc/fstab file (which can only be modified by the root user).

11. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

If you are doing this for ROMs that you are going to build for yourself, and those apps are free in the marketplace, then knock yourself out.

If those .apk's are for paid apps, OR you are planning on redistributing a ROM, then you are asking advice from the visitors of this forum to help you STEAL other people's stuff.

Even if the app is a free download from the market, that doesn't give you the rights to redistribute it. Some app developers will give you permission to redistribute, and some will not. The way to find out IS TO ASK THEM.

Have a look over on XDA - at this very moment we have so called "devs" redistributing SetCPU without even asking the author if they can do so - in essence, $hitting on his generosity. (He has the app in the market, but also gives it away freely to registered members of XDA.)

Since free apps can be downloaded directly from the market, and you are asking about non-market locations, I suppose we should assume the latter.

Perhaps you were unaware that the apps that get downloaded from the market are stored on the phone in their original .apk format.

I hope that is the case, anyway.

Do the right thing.

eu1