• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APK to SD card

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
While looking for the X-plore app, saw this. APK to SD card

I'll be getting a new phone, I tried Helium Premium and I can't get the desktop to work. I have a feeling it's Helium as Windows7Pro, and USB see all of the Oppo. The Oppo drivers are in Device manager and I can see all the partitions, not just the SD card.

I really need to back up 4 original files. I can't and won't use Google. When I switched to the Oppo, Google told me my phone didn't qualify or run these apps and I couldn't download. I had managed to transfer one of the apps from the Nexus 4 somehow, so the other 3 that Google denied should work. In fact, they did work. I repurchased from Amazon when they were .99 apiece. They were 9.99 when I bought them on Play originally.

Green Mountain Digital has added a lot of junk for socializing - not just bird sightings and counts. I don't want it. Since there have been no new birds, plants, trees found, the original apps are just fine. They also pester with the new additions. Email for this, text for that, - no thanks.

I simply don't want to take the chance of Google forbidding any of my apps. I'll be getting the Motorola X Pure and that shouldn't be a problem. There's a few other apps that I haven't updated as I didn't need or want the feature, but I can live with the feature.

If this will copy the app to somewhere where I can get it to the new phone, it would work.

NB
I emailed Helium, got the wiki which was useless as I had done all of what was listed except Android File Transfer and I'd need more info on that.

Yeh, Android File Transfer is definitely Mac only, not Windows. I use it sometimes as I'm primarily a Mac user.

Oppo does make it very easy to backup, transfer and restore everything to another Oppo device, just using an SD, no cloud or computer needed, but again only for Oppo phones.

With Oppo being a China phone, and rather unknown in the United States, Google Services may not play too well with them.

Upvote 0
I don't want Google involved at all since Google refused to let me have 3 of the apps on the Oppo.

The people at Helium had that in the wiki.
https://github.com/koush/support-wiki/wiki/Helium-Wiki

That was the only step I hadn't done and they didn't state it was Mac OS.
I answered the email with the fact that I had already done all the recommended steps, and still can't get the desktop going.

I had used the unpaid version between a Nexus 4 and the Oppo for just the apps. It worked. The Nexus was rooted, but all I wanted was the apps since the Oppo is stock.

Upvote 0
Yeh, Android File Transfer is definitely Mac only, not Windows. I use it sometimes as I'm primarily a Mac user.

Oppo does make it very easy to backup, transfer and restore everything to another Oppo device, just using an SD, no cloud or computer needed, but again only for Oppo phones.

With Oppo being a China phone, and rather unknown in the United States, Google Services may not play too well with them.

If Oppo would have added the TMOUS LTE bands to the newer phones, I would have bought one in an instant. Oppo didn't add them unfortunately. I live in an area where the 700 spectrum should be useful to spread signal over greater distance.
I don't always stay in town.

I was surprised to pick up a decent TMO signal while in Moab, UT. That whole area is Verizon and there is no local TMO store. I had to call on the Vulcan's phone. TMO registered the Oppo on the network and all was good.

Upvote 0
So all you're looking to do is copy the APK for those few applications to the SD card to transfer them to a new phone?

Xplore/Xplore has that capability, even w/o root:

Screenshot_20160204-134112.png

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check that out. Yes, all I want is the originals without the latest upgrades from Green Mtn. Digital.

The other birding apps have been a lot more reasonable in the updates.

One question - those are paid apps. It might also need the paid key.

I suppose I can check Amazon, too.

Upvote 0
Being paid apps could complicate things, but that's kind of on an app-by-app basis. Developers use different tactics for protecting their apps - some prevent you from accessing/copying the APK, others rely on local license keys, and others still use phone-home license checks (either through Google Play or their own means), and some don't even bother.

The few times that I ran into issues transferring apps from one phone to another I was able to contact the developer and get it sorted fairly quickly.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
The data TF for the apps worked, now I need to do the apk. Then we'll see.

How do you uncheck stuff in X-Plore? I didn't see anything that said "uncheck all" My hand slipped as I always seem to have a Siamese cat on my lap when trying to do anything. She got me with her hind claws.

Upvote 0
How do you uncheck stuff in X-Plore?

Tapping the checkmark next to an item should uncheck it. For uncheck all, you can scroll back to the top of the item list (App Manager, Internal Storage, etc) and tap the checkmark next to that heading. Tapping the check next to App Manager toggles checkmarks on all the apps.

Reactions: Thom and Hadron
Upvote 0
Thanks. The checked list was 588 lines long. The Meez is a problem on both ends. She's a head butter, and she has hind claws like scythes. (declawed in front)

Now the other problem will be to get it on the X pure. Moto changed the SD card usage and I have a feeling the phone has Marshmallow as it says it is compliant with all US carriers. Can I use Dropbox? I don't trust Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones