APN Modification?

1. EvoImage

EvoImage Member

I just purchased the S4. Coming from the S3 I am noticing my coverage at home and at work are WORSE. Although wifi calling is a great feature I was wondering....

Is there anyway I can integrate the metropcs towers that my s3 was using to the S4 to help me get a decent signal back?

TIA...

Advertisement
    :
  2. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

No. Your S4 is GSM and your S3 is CDMA, your S4 is using T-Mobile GSM towers and your S3 is using the Metro CDMA network, completely different technologies
    EvoImage likes this.
  3. EvoImage

EvoImage Member

danyvw I appreciate it. I hope t-mobile upgrades towers in downtown Miami soon...supposedly they are starting from the south and working up....time will tell...
    What about using another tower like an ATT tower? No way to get better signal?
  4. brazilian0523

brazilian0523 Member

Can someone please post a screenshot of the apn . From metropcs for the galaxy s4 I deleted it dont got it thanks
  5. ARocker

ARocker Guides Guide

Your coverage may be worse with Tmo towers, as mine is in NJ, but I find that even though my metropcs s3 signal (CDMA network) was full bars most of the time, the full Metro bars were much slower than im currently getting with only two or even one bars of Tmo (GSM network) and so, even tho the coverage is worse for tmo in my area, the speeds are MUCH much better. Dont you find the same thing true? I couldnt imagine going back to metros slow towers, that is, unless i was getting NO signal at all. Then id be crying for ANY signal :)

As for Att towers, you probably have to get an Att phone with Att service for that.
    nuttmeg likes this.
  6. ARocker

ARocker Guides Guide

Im not sure what youre asking for. A screenshot...of the apn? You mean the apn number?

I know that there are codes you should be able to use in the dialer that will update your apn (I dont know what they are off hand), but Ive never heard anyone ask for a screenshot. What will that do for you?
  7. brazilian0523

brazilian0523 Member

Yes the apn for metropcs fortghe s4 like where it says name metropcs then the other stuff to make the Internet work . There not alot of stuff on the metropcs s4 so its not on google
  8. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

If you have an s4 with metro pcs than replacing the apns with another metro pcs s4 wouldn't make sense, cause its the same thing.
    ARocker likes this.
  9. ARocker

ARocker Guides Guide

Sorry, im still not sure what youre asking for. I dont think you actually mean apn. The apn only tells the phone what towers to connect to (i think) and doesnt "make the internet work". In any case, best that you go to a metropcs store to help you with your problem.
    nuttmeg likes this.
  10. brazilian0523

brazilian0523 Member

Yes I know but I flashed a tmobile rom and now don't got any apn so I just need to know whats the metro apn
  11. brazilian0523

brazilian0523 Member

Apn makes the Internet work im 100 % sure if you delete it you will have no Internet . I flashed a tmobile rom and lost my metropcs apn I have the tmobile one but I want put in the metropcs one if you could just go to your setting the more network then mobile network then apn and just screen shot the metropcs on thats all im asking.
  12. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

These are my Metro GSM Galaxy S4 VPN settings from factory, hope they serve you:

APN Settings:

Name:
    MetroPCS
    APN:
    fast.metropcs.com
    Proxy:
    Not set
    Port:
    Not set
    User Name:
    Not set
    Password:
    Not set
    Server:
    Not set
    MMSC:
    http://metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy:
    Not set
    MMS Port:
    Not set
    MCC:
    MNC:
    Authentication type:
    None
    APN type:
    default,mms,supl
    APN protocol:
    IPv4
    APN roaming protocol:
    IPv4
    Enable/disable APN:
    APN enabled
    Bearer:
    Unspecified
  13. brazilian0523

brazilian0523 Member

Thank you thats all I wanted!
    Crephix likes this.
  14. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

If you want, I will upload the apn.xml and you can use root explorer and move it to /etc/ and reboot the phone.
    ARocker likes this.
  15. EvoImage

EvoImage Member

Yes data is faster but my issue is phone signal. When I was using cdma towers it was better.
  16. bluriderz313

bluriderz313 New Member

I flash my sgs4 metro to a t-mobile and im on 4g lte all day using the t-mobile unlock sim but in stead of the phone I went to network control and change to LTE preferred. Bam I have 4g lte. And the rom is Infamous S4 t-mobile.
  17. noirelion

noirelion Active Member

Not all metro s3 are cdma... my son bought one few weeks ago...it uses GSM.
  18. ARocker

ARocker Guides Guide

Thats true. However danyvw was talking to EvoImage about his S3, the first white Metro S3, which was CDMA. He never said all Metro S3s are CDMA, only that Evo's was.

My friend has the pebble blue Metro S3 and boy what a difference a network makes. If I had the newer S3, I don't know if would have upgraded to the S4.
    danyvw likes this.
  19. EvoJack

EvoJack New Member

I've spent all night looking for this! God bless you!

I have a Galaxy S4 which is a Verizon phone but I cut the line cause their bill was just way to high, and it wasn't something I could keep paying so I took it to MetroPCS they said that it would work, and the SIM worked, and I got phone right away. The kid there told me in 1 or 2 hours the net would be working on its own. Nothing happened, and so I was gonna take it back tomorrow but chose to look online first, and after hours of looking I found this link. And thanks to you my phone is now working on MetroPCS 100% thank you danyvw! You made my night! :D