General APN Settings

1. racer12306

racer12306 Well-Known Member

I see with the 4.1.2 update you are supposed to be able to use GSM data instead of just talk and text. I've seen other places where the APN settings are now open for use.

I just checked on my phone and I still cannot access the APN settings. Just reboot my phone to see if that helps, but I'm pretty confident it's been reboot since the update.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. racer12306

Phone finished booting, the APN menu is still gray.
  3. mosleynormal

mosleynormal Member

sorry that nobody has replied to your question, but doing the typical google search reveals that in order to change apn settings the phone needs to be unlocked or in need of a custom rom (root) to achieve your goal.
    i apologize if this information is incorrect, just trying to assist...
    hopefully someone with knowledge on this topic will chime in.
  4. racer12306

It seems that's how it used to be but the update is supposed to fix that. I came across one link from Google that said this, I think it was on Android Central.

Worst case, when I need it I can use my old DINC2, but I'd like to use this when the need comes up.
  5. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this could be a carrier issue. I was able to change my APN even before the 4.1.2 update running stock ROM not rooted. The phone is also locked to Telus. I am in Canada and I don't know about Verizon or the limits they put on the device. Maybe call them up about it?
  6. PiscesCloud

PiscesCloud Well-Known Member

Can you create a new APN on the page that displays your APN (instead of editing your existing one) and then selecting the new one for use?
  7. racer12306

Everything is deactivated except, I can change the existing APN name from VZWINTERNET.

Well, I assume I can because a window pops up but I haven't actually tried.