ApnDroid screwed up my Epic's 3G, request help.

Last Updated:

1. scourgedirge

scourgedirge New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

This week I obtained and rooted a Sprint Epic 4G, then installed many apps including Tasker (Amazing) and ApnDroid.

I made a task to disable my APN/Data connection except for intermittent checks, but discovered that ApnDroid was consuming MASSIVE amounts of cpu time (25%). I deleted ApnDroid correctly, with my data enabled, but now my 3G network only comes on when an app request data (such as a browser), all other times I have a "D" under the 3G symbol.

I used APN Backup and Recover to get this:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="Sprint" numeric="310120" mcc="310" mnc="120" apn="Sprint" user="Sprint" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="68.28.31.7" mmsport="80" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.sprintpcs.com" type="null" />
    </apns>

Could one of you sprint users share your APN data so as to compare with mine? I need to find what ApnDroid modified. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. dmagikwand

dmagikwand New Member

I'm no pro at this but isn't that what it is supposed to do? mine keeps a 'D' under the 3g when it's idle like now but when I press the button to post this message from my epic if all goes like usual, the red and green download/upload arrows will flash until the task is completed then back to idle with the 'D' . I think as long as your phone is doing what I just described and also has the white signal bars next to the 3g all is fine.

3. scourgedirge

You are correct that my phone is functioning as intended with ApnDroid, the only problem is that it didn't do that while ApnDroid was installed, and is only now "working correctly" AFTER I uninstalled it. That bothers me, but what really bothers me is that I cant get 3G to come back on constantly even if I install ApnDroid again.

I am going to try to uninstall Tasker, which was tied in with ApnDroid, maybe it is still working some voodoo.

4. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member

I think the D stands for data, I'm just assuming it's letting you know your data connection is up waiting for transmit and receive.

What I would do is not mess with anything, just update your Profile,
    -Settings, System update, Update Profile.

I'd do the PRL, I don't know if it's tied to the roaming list, but doesn't hurt to update the PRL

Otherwise, if you think your totally screwed you can do a factory reset. I think it's ##786# then reset That should also do a Reactivation on your sprint username/password.

Backup if I was you. I don't take responsibility if the world blows up.

5. scourgedirge

Lol... if that is what the "D" means then I have no problems at all. It must have been coincidence that I had issues with multimedia messages after apndroid was uninstalled.

Knowing this, I reinstalled apndroid to see if I could make it work, and I did. Here is the problem (at least with my Epic) and the solution.

Apndroid was hogging as many resources as a browser, this was because I checked "notify", which keeps the on/off status of APN in the status bar AND keeps apn droid running. The same notification can be had by installing the Apndroid widget, which for some reason is able to monitor the status without keeping the app open.

Here is my tasker profile which seems to work well.

Profile: Data check daytime-15 min (I have longer 30 min intervals at night in another profile)
    Context: 6am to 5pm at 15 minute intervals
    Tasks:
    1 Data apn Enable
    2 Stop if %power=ON (so data is continuous when charging)
    3 Wait 20s (to give apn droid time to work)
    4 Auto sync on
    5 Wait 20s (time to sync)
    6 Data Apn disable
    7 Wait 20s
    8 Kill Apn Droid