Apology to HTC and Sprint for saying wifi tether is slow on the Evo

Last Updated:

1. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've ranted on here about how slow wifi tether is on the Evo. Well, I've always done wifi teather with my Evo and my iPad. Today, I replaced my iPad with the new MacBook Air laptop (sweet machine, by the way), and the wifi tether with the Evo is blazing fast! Even 3G is pretty darn fast. I tried a speed test with 4G, and was getting like 8 MB down! I couldn't hardly even get 4G tether to work on the iPad. Had to just use 3G, but even then- 3G was running slow as dial up.

So relieved to have figured this out.

Advertisement
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

So, just so I'm understanding correctly, it was the iPad that was the issue, not the EVO?

3. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

I have heard very few good things about the iPad.

4. MisterB

That's right. The thing that threw me off, was that the iPad worked fine over wifi networks elsewhere, but the combo of the iPad and Evo didn't work very well. It was like 56k dial up speeds. With my Macbook and the Evo, it works extremely well. Go figure.

5. MisterB

Oh, I don't know. It was pretty cool, but it sure is watered down compared to a notebook computer. With these new Macbook Air's, they are instant on, have 7 hours of battery life, and are extremely thin and light, so the iPad has lost some of its luster.

6. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Did you hear uhh.... hmmm... let's see... about the uhh.... it's got a... frick....

A bigger screen! Then it's got... uhh... I give up... :-(

7. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I WiFi tether my EVO to my laptop all the time. I pay Sprint for the HotSpot feature on my EVO. I'm very happy with it, it is fast and has never failed. This past month I used just over 10gigs of data (thank God for Sprints unlimited plans, I'd be screwed with ATT or VZW). I usually get over 2 megs/sec down and and about 700k up using 3G. It works great! :)

8. fredsmith

fredsmith Well-Known Member

That is weird, I've had no problems with my Evo and iPad. Heck, my comcast cable link went down yesterday for about an hour (my wife and I work from home) and the Evo saved the day: We were both back on our client sites under a minute. I was even able to use Google Voice for phone calls (it was only a 3G link).

In terms of the iPad, it's a very well designed machine. What limits it ins't hardware, but Apple's stupid fight with Adobe. I can watch ESPN3 or my morning news on my phone, but not on the much larger iPad? That's idiotic.

9. wiltok

wiltok Member

I am doing the same with my IPad (tether from EVO). While speeds for me are faster than dial up - they certainly aren't 4G. Definitely something wrong with the IPad.

10. MisterB

The no Flash nonsense really is stupid. It's really all because Jobs has a bone to pick with a past relationship with Adobe turned sour. Amazing how many times in a day a person visits a site that has Flash, but can't get it to run if you have an iPad. I never realized it until I didn't have it.

11. MisterB

Sorry to hear that, but glad to know I'm not alone. I figured it was something to do with the WPA settings I used with the wifi hotspot on the Evo, so I tried all different ones with WEP and even absolutely no security at all just to see how it worked, and it was still extremely slow.

12. ninety9

ninety9 Member

root and download google tether

13. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

Its been a problem for us for awhile. The EVO and Overdrive have this Ipad issue.. Every other device works fine tethering except the MaxIpad

14. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

I'm not hating on Apple either, I just honestly haven't heard many good things about it.

15. Droid_Genius

Droid_Genius Well-Known Member

Yea I just heard VZW was following suit and taking away unlimited data just another sign of how much I forget I love sprint

BenChase7 likes this.
  16. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

This, Exactly.