• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [APP] Android DSP (Equalizer) for Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how you can claim my car stereo isn't possible of increasing the sound quality in order to compensate for 2.2s degraded playback of the aac+. It's an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that allows me to change a lot of sound and equalizer attributes on any type of media and file format I put through it. So I guarantee, depending on how I have it configured, it's going to make the audio sound better or worse depending on how it's set up.

At this point, you're just being straight ignorant about the matter and acting like a general troll. Insulting people directly on here just totally ruined your credibility too, I'm afraid ;).
Look, your stereo settings can't magically fix the incorrectly decoded sound. Your stereo can't magically add back in information that isn't present. The fact that you can't understand this...is simply an illustration of your ignorance.
As for insulting, the only thing I've said is that you are ignorant, and that the issue at hand is an OS BUG. If thats insulting, because some self-proclaimed "sound expert" claims that his magical droid doesn't experience an issue that it is not possible to not experience...well...you do the math on who is wrong. It ain't me.

But hey, the fix for it was committed on the 8th, so hopefully, it will show up in source-built roms soon.

Upvote 0
I have no idea how you can claim my car stereo isn't possible of increasing the sound quality in order to compensate for 2.2s degraded playback of the aac+. It's an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that allows me to change a lot of sound and equalizer attributes on any type of media and file format I put through it. So I guarantee, depending on how I have it configured, it's going to make the audio sound better or worse depending on how it's set up.

He is able to claim this because there is no physical way of "increasing sound quality". Any product that claims to do that is crap and should be thrown out immediately. As althornin said, once data is lost, that's it. Just because your ears aren't able to tell the difference doesn't mean it's not there.

There is no way to gain audio quality; just ways to prevent losing audio quality, and in this instance, the only way to prevent losing audio quality is to fix the bug in how Froyo decodes AAC.

I saw another post where someone was completely adamant about how he has amazing hearing, amazing sound equipment, and his Droid doesn't have this issue as well. I hope people realize that no amount of hardware quality is going to compensate for a software bug.

Upvote 0
He is able to claim this because there is no physical way of "increasing sound quality". Any product that claims to do that is crap and should be thrown out immediately. As althornin said, once data is lost, that's it. Just because your ears aren't able to tell the difference doesn't mean it's not there.

There is no way to gain audio quality; just ways to prevent losing audio quality, and in this instance, the only way to prevent losing audio quality is to fix the bug in how Froyo decodes AAC.

I saw another post where someone was completely adamant about how he has amazing hearing, amazing sound equipment, and his Droid doesn't have this issue as well. I hope people realize that no amount of hardware quality is going to compensate for a software bug.

*Sigh* You are correct that external audio hardware/software can not possibly fix incorrectly decoded audio codecs. Therefore, if he is able to listen to normal sounding AAC+ or eAAC+ audio, he obviously doesn't have the problem. The point that is being missed is that there are many mentions of phones NOT exhibiting the issue (including among senior members here and elsewhere). This is also not a matter of lost data. It's all there, just not correctly decoded. Once it's incorrectly decoded, there is no way to compensate.

Audio codecs can conflict with many many other issues. It's not like a simple pass/fail software calculation that works or doesn't work. Similar types of issues were rampant when Windows Vista came out, and there were work arounds for those with specific audio problems, while others were just unfixable until Windows corrected the conflict. Not all PCs exhibited the exact same issue, or to the same extent, and just because a fix was needed for most, didn't mean some didn't have the problem (yes, I realize Android is a completely different matter, it's just an example).

It has zero to do with me having "amazing hearing" etc. I just happen to be a professional musician and audio tech with many years experience in dealing with any sort of audio quality issue. These things are BLATANTLY obvious when they don't work, so I've run my phone through all sorts of tests (and reconfirmed my results after the infantile attacks here). It just does not present the problem. I have no definitive answer why, but whatever the conflict that causes the software issue is, it simply isn't affecting my phone.

Look, your stereo settings can't magically fix the incorrectly decoded sound. Your stereo can't magically add back in information that isn't present. The fact that you can't understand this...is simply an illustration of your ignorance.
As for insulting, the only thing I've said is that you are ignorant, and that the issue at hand is an OS BUG. If thats insulting, because some self-proclaimed "sound expert" claims that his magical droid doesn't experience an issue that it is not possible to not experience...well...you do the math on who is wrong. It ain't me.

But hey, the fix for it was committed on the 8th, so hopefully, it will show up in source-built roms soon.

The only ignorance illustrated here is you proclaiming something absolutely isn't possible when presented with evidence to the contrary, and saying therefore the user must have "shitty hearing." Whether or not you are capable of understanding why the possibility exists of some phones not presenting the problem, really doesn't matter. Irony is lost....

Can we finally get back to topic and lay this to rest now? The fix is already out there, and this is not the appropriate thread for this discussion.

Upvote 0
The only ignorance illustrated here is you proclaiming something absolutely isn't possible when presented with evidence to the contrary, and saying therefore the user must have "shitty hearing." Whether or not you are capable of understanding why the possibility exists of some phones not presenting the problem, really doesn't matter. Irony is lost....

Can we finally get back to topic and lay this to rest now? The fix is already out there, and this is not the appropriate thread for this discussion.
I'm not being infantile at all. Your insistence that your phone is immune to something that is broken in the OS proves you are wrong. You may not hear it, but you have the issue. Its not like some hardware difference can make up for the software error - decoding is broken in software, period (until the recent fix).
Sorry you just can't hear it, but its there.

At least you understand that an EQ and your car stereo can't fix an incorrectly decoded audio stream, unlike some. But your patent unwillingness to understand how software works means your opinion is completely invalid. OS bug means its present on every phone running that OS. It is literally not possible for it not to be. This is not a "sometimes" bug, its is plain broken and 100% reproducible. You didn't notice it - thats fine, others do. Just don't go trying to state things you don't understand based on your supposed golden ear.

Upvote 0
This is also not a matter of lost data. It's all there, just not correctly decoded.
No, you misunderstand (I know, you are a sound guy, not a computer guy, i should expect this).
Look: Data isn't lost from the sound FILE, but because of incorrect decoding, some data is "lost" from the output stream that should be there, if decoding were correctly taking place. That is clearly what is meant, and it is absolutely correct. An analog waveform is just data.

Upvote 0
I'm not being infantile at all. Your insistence that your phone is immune to something that is broken in the OS proves you are wrong. You may not hear it, but you have the issue. Its not like some hardware difference can make up for the software error - decoding is broken in software, period (until the recent fix).
Sorry you just can't hear it, but its there.

At least you understand that an EQ and your car stereo can't fix an incorrectly decoded audio stream, unlike some. But your patent unwillingness to understand how software works means your opinion is completely invalid. OS bug means its present on every phone running that OS. It is literally not possible for it not to be. This is not a "sometimes" bug, its is plain broken and 100% reproducible. You didn't notice it - thats fine, others do. Just don't go trying to state things you don't understand based on your supposed golden ear.

Wow. Some people just insist on ignorance. I suppose you still think the world is flat. Audio codec conflicts are nothing new (edit: My theory about this being an audio codec conflict may be completely off. After modding my phone so many times and rarely wiping :thinking: it's possible something is broken that doesn't allow stagefright to run properly). I ran AAC+ and eAAC+ plus files on many systems and analyzed the output in comparison with the output from my Droid (including wave form). It is EXACTLY the same (edit: that an overstatement. There are frequently very minor differences depending on the program and decoding algorithms that are imperceptible aurally. I'm not aware of an issue with VLC media player for instance). Mine works. So do others' phones. Explain that. I seriously would like to know but have wasted enough time on something that doesn't affect my phone. The trouble with public forums is you very rarely hear from people who have no issues.

No, you misunderstand (I know, you are a sound guy, not a computer guy, i should expect this).
Look: Data isn't lost from the sound FILE, but because of incorrect decoding, some data is "lost" from the output stream that should be there, if decoding were correctly taking place. That is clearly what is meant, and it is absolutely correct. An analog waveform is just data.

This is just semantics. Sorry to disappoint you, but I've also worked pt time as an IT guy for a long time. Yes, the data is all there in the stream, the output is incorrectly decoded so you don't hear it correctly. Simple. Both are true.

Your fix is out there. Many streaming programs have already integrated a fix for AAC+ (saw another update this morning). Run along now. Nothing more to see here... unless you want to discuss the DSP this thread was supposed to be about.

Imagine that.

Upvote 0
Question:
Why does a bug have to be absolute? I code simple stuff for work and I have run into/introduced plenty of bugs that don't affect everyone all the time.

Why is the assumption here that this bug is the absolute kind? maybe it decodes poorly based on some opaque condition that is met by most people. Just becasue it is an OS bug doesn't mean it must affect everyone, just that it could affect everyone.

Granted not having actually looked at the code or tracked the bug myself (I have a like a dull bronze ear...) I can't say that is the case, but it could be.

this is just stupid to argue about. Hat guy thinks (maybe correctly) that his phone doesn't have that problem and that is at least theoretically possible. If not who cares he's convinced and is not changing his mind on it.

Reactions: MahoVader
Upvote 0
I almost always bump up the two lowest frequencies (lowest gets up to ~4.0 - 4.2 and next lowest ~1.9 - 2.1) and the three highest get bumped up a bit - 3rd highest to ~1.4-1.6, second highest to ~1.9-2.1 and highest to ~3.8-4.0

I also have the top option enabled, and have it set to ~1.5 - 1.8

Sorry that I cannot tell you the exact freqs right now b/c I installed build .15 and my phone hung at the Moto Logo - so I haven't gotten around to installing a working version. Yet.

This serves me well in listening to both rock and techno / trance / D&B / jungle.

I also have to admit that I listen to music on my DROID in 2 main ways - Motorola MOTOROKR S9-HD stereo headphones with mic, and through my car's stereo, routed through a Motorola MOTOROKR T505 BT to FM transceiver with speaker.

Obviously the quality of the S9s is superb, for in-ear style headphones, but my car's system is pure stock, so not a lot of thump there - hence my need for equalization.

Odd thing, though, the version that comes installed in Smoked Glass RM - the DROID.ogg when played through my phone's speakers were always crackling, unless I decreased to volume to ridiculously low levels. Most odd.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones