• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] BattMonX (Droid X Battery State Monitor via LED Indicator)

Will b looking forward to that donate button. You should be getting something for your work. I would be interested to know the title of that book. I work for a large auto maker in Prototype Operations.

It's called "Scale Model Firearms" (softcover)...here's one link with the description (my grandfather is "R.E. Hutchens" (they spelled it wrong :p):

IDSA BOOKS LLC: SCALE MODEL FIREARMS, SC. by

Description: 1999 140pp, many b/w & color photos, 9.375x12.5; depicts many firearms (usually only 1 example) reproduced exactly as their larger counterparts (nearly all 1/2 scale & taking year or more to complete) including their mechanisms, bore rifling, & ammunition with exact stampings made to 1/2 scale & repeatedly test fired & made by R.E. Hutchins (retired Indianapolis police officer)--known internationally to be finest maker of model firearms in world; shows models & two makers who could build them in incredible collection of Joe Kramer; SC. NEW Item # 101964

About half the book is devoted to his guns...the other half to another gun maker. Grandpa's friend, Joe Kramer, is the one who commissioned the book to be made and bought most of the guns that my grandpa made.

Here's one another link with a picture of the book on the bottom right of the page: Wayne Driskill Miniature Firearms - Books on Miniatures

We used to watch him make the guns in his garage with all of his crazy precision machinery (lots of metal shavings all of the floor, lol).

Thanks for asking about this...:)

Upvote 0
Of course I get the version of the app that DOESN'T have the donate app because you are using my name as a selling point, right? ;) :p jk

Of course! "Steven58" (c) is almost as well-known and valuable as Coca-Cola, eh? :D ;) (ask for him by name...:p).

Actually, I've just been too busy to fully research doing this...I've done some, but I keep getting distracted by other fun things or feature requests...

Cheers! and thanks again for requesting and inspiring this app in the first place Steven.

Upvote 0
Of course! "Steven58" (c) is almost as well-known and valuable as Coca-Cola, eh? :D ;) (ask for him by name...:p).

Actually, I've just been too busy to fully research doing this...I've done some, but I keep getting distracted by other fun things or feature requests...

Cheers! and thanks again for requesting and inspiring this app in the first place Steven.

It's my honor. :)

Of course, this app is old news. What you need to work on is an app that shovels snow, huh? ;)

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been requested or already on your milstone list but have you looked into having the option on putting it in the status bar?

Check out
NexRight-1.jpg

Battery Status Bar - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been requested or already on your milstone list but have you looked into having the option on putting it in the status bar?

Battery Status Bar - Android app on AppBrain

Th3Coog,

Well, I do have some things planned for future versions... I hadn't really considered updating the status bar, but since the app is monitoring the battery state / status anyway, I think I could make this an option (once I figure how to do it, of course ;)). I still wish the X would report the battery charged percentage in increments smaller than 10% (probably Moto's decision..).

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Upvote 0
Here's another one for you, scary. I flashed my DX with the new Rubix 2.0 last Thursday and of course I activated your app - which works just fine, thank you!

Why, thank you, too! :)

I'm (finally) getting the hang of this app development stuff, lol ;) :p...

I've been testing a new version that allows you to set the blinking behavior for the LED-by-percent-charged mode (but not when the screen is on, though).

I've also been in contact with some Sony Ericsson x10 users that will be able to use the app on their phones too (made a rather simple tweak that helped identify their phone's key files).

Cheers and thanks again for the encouragement!

Upvote 0
Th3Coog,

Well, I do have some things planned for future versions... I hadn't really considered updating the status bar, but since the app is monitoring the battery state / status anyway, I think I could make this an option (once I figure how to do it, of course ;)). I still wish the X would report the battery charged percentage in increments smaller than 10% (probably Moto's decision..).

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Hey Scary just a heads up I found. I have been using battery widget called circle battery widget. The developer says it reports accerate to 1%. When I first started using it, I figured it was just a estimate. He says no. Might be something to check into.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hey Scary just a heads up I found. I have been using battery widget called circle battery widget. The developer says it reports accerate to 1%. When I first started using it, I figured it was just a estimate. He says no. Might be something to check into.

OMG! This does appear to be true! I've found the file that this is reported in and should be able to easily incorporate this into my app... Everything that I've read and the research I've done re. this made me think that the information was only in 10% chunks on the Droid X. Its possible that they added this new file or updated the contents of this file when 2.2 (Froyo) came out...

I can't do too much debugging / research on it right now (limited resources here at work, lol), but I'll definitely check into it tonight...

Thank you very much for the heads-up re. this!

Also makes me want to put an option in the app that was previously suggested to display the battery percent charged as a notification icon...(as an option, of course).

Awesome find! (new goodies yet to come...;)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
OMG! This does appear to be true! I've found the file that this is reported in and should be able to easily incorporate this into my app... Everything that I've read and the research I've done re. this made me think that the information was only in 10% chunks on the Droid X. Its possible that they added this new file or updated the contents of this file when 2.2 (Froyo) came out...

I can't do too much debugging / research on it right now (limited resources here at work, lol), but I'll definitely check into it tonight...

Thank you very much for the heads-up re. this!

Also makes me want to put an option in the app that was previously suggested to display the battery percent charged as a notification icon...(as an option, of course).

Awesome find! (new goodies yet to come...;)).

Cheers!

Yes!!!! Do it!!! A battery percentage montor!!! w00t! :D

Upvote 0
Lol! Steven, want a preview of my new v2.3 version? I can send it to you...:D

Lots of new goodies...

edit: I've sent it ;)

Thanks! I heard the DROOOOID sound but didn't know what it was. I'll install it now. ty! :)

Edit: running it now, with percentage indicator in the pulldown bar. :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks! I heard the DROOOOID sound but didn't know what it was. I'll install it now. ty! :)

Thank you, too!

My son and I have been testing it all day...cleaned-up lots of little things that were bugging me...added a few new niceties that you'll see (the status bar notification should make the app useful on virtually all Android phones, regardless of whether or not they've got LED indicators).

Cheers!

P.S. my daughter says "hey!" (she's home from college and cleaned-up my new status bar icons with her awesome Photoshop skillz :D). Don't worry, I left you with top billing in the acknowledgements (but she's closing in ;)).

Upvote 0
Thank you, too!

My son and I have been testing it all day...cleaned-up lots of little things that were bugging me...added a few new niceties that you'll see (the status bar notification should make the app useful on virtually all Android phones, regardless of whether or not they've got LED indicators).

Cheers!

P.S. my daughter says "hey!" (she's home from college and cleaned-up my new status bar icons with her awesome Photoshop skillz :D). Don't worry, I left you with top billing in the acknowledgements (but she's closing in ;)).

Tell your daughter "hey" back! Mine's home from college this week too!

Ps: The new version is fantastic!

Upvote 0
Tell your daughter "hey" back! Mine's home from college this week too!

Ps: The new version is fantastic!

Thank you sir! (and thank you for testing it out).

cant wait!

Sorry, almost got it posted last night, but then it got too late and I realized that if I posted it up and there were issues, I'd be up even later.

v2.3 coming this evening...promise!

Ok Scary enough holding out on us, lets see the new bells and whistles. :D

lol...been a crazy day at work (glad to finally be home). Gotta take care of some things around here first and will publish very soon. :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Okay guys, new version just published.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Here's the change log:

Version 2.3 - 14-Mar-2011:

- support option to display status bar notification icon with battery percent charged

- support option to turn off use of LED battery state indication

- more accurate app behavior for Moto Droid-class phones via 1% charge delta vs. original 10% delta

- support blink action for monitor-by-percent charged mode (screen off only)

- additional logic to try to support other phones like Sony Ericsson Xperia x10 family

- lots of app cleanup; re-organized preferences / settings menus

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones