• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] BattMonX (Droid X Battery State Monitor via LED Indicator)

loving the update.
Can you make it open the app when you click it in the notification drop down?

Thanks!

I think I can..I just didn't think about that or research it when I added the status bar icon notification...its on my list...;)

My son was asking me about this when I showed him and installed it on his D2G.

Should be in v2.4 along with some other things (actually working on that version right now :D).

Cheers guys!

Reactions: 91STT
Upvote 0
Nice updates
Thanks

Thanks, I appreciate that! :)

Next version (v2.4) will not require use of phone-specific battery status directories (which keeps the app working right on some phones, notably some Samsung Instinct since they have some wacky colons in their directory names which keeps me from being able to properly locate their files).

Plus a few other updates as my awesome users have requested. :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hey Scary wondering if you can help me out, I don't understand how to change the color of the icon in the notification bar. I'm sure its something easy I'm not getting. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding...(haven't gotten the forum email notifications for these posts???).

The status bar icon colors are tied to the colors assigned to the LED for the current monitoring mode. So, if you are monitoring the "original" way (i.e., based on the battery charging state), then whatever charging state LED color assignment will be reflected in the status bar icon.

If you have checked the "Monitor by Pct Charged" checkbox in the General Settings menu, then the icon color will correspond to the LED color assigned to the current 10%-delta charging color in the "Percent Charged Settings" menu.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Reactions: old.blue
Upvote 0
Love the update Scary. I really like the ability to add the icon to the notification bar with a more accurate indication of the charged state.

This isn't a question about your app really, but is it possible to disable the original battery icon in the notification bar? I'd rather use just yours.

Thank you for your support and kind words!

I would think that disabling the "stock" battery icon would take tweaking via a custom ROM or theme...(since I've seen custom battery icons in various custom ROMs).

Yeah, it struck me too that it would nice to only have one battery icon...I'll keep that in mind :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Speaking of support and kind words: where's the donate button,
dammit!
?

lol...my goal is to post-up a donate version this weekend (for both BattMonX and AFV).

I hope to also have these available for the Amazon App Market when they are live (they keep bugging me to submit my apps).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Having the status bar notification disables the led indicator?

PS, i <3 u

Oh, no, not at all, you can run both at the same time (that's what I do :D).

I just put an option in to turn off one or the other so that folks with no LED indicators on their phones could just use the status bar notifications.

Thanks (I heart you too, lol! :)).

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Upvote 0
jedizombie-albums-my-screens-constant-wip-picture3229-room-one-more.png
[/IMG]

Steven: Room for one more?

Jedi: Hell yeah!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the hard work Scary. I'm a bit confused. I have the charging light working fine. Red for charging, green for charged. I'm having trouble with the notification bar. I plug the phone in, the notification comes on at say 60%. Goes to 100% when charged. Unplug the phone and the notification stays at 100% until I clear notifications even though I only have 70% battery left. I clear the 100% notification and I don't get another notification until I plug the phone back in. I only want the notification bar, I don't want the LED discharging light. Make any sense?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the hard work Scary. I'm a bit confused. I have the charging light working fine. Red for charging, green for charged. I'm having trouble with the notification bar. I plug the phone in, the notification comes on at say 60%. Goes to 100% when charged. Unplug the phone and the notification stays at 100% until I clear notifications even though I only have 70% battery left. I clear the 100% notification and I don't get another notification until I plug the phone back in. I only want the notification bar, I don't want the LED discharging light. Make any sense?

Thanks for the feedback, I very much appreciate it!

I think I understand...let me test this scenario with the v2.3 version (I'm currently building a v2.4 version :D (no, Steven, its not ready for you yet--soon...very soon :p)) and I'll uninstall that and test your scenario out.

I do know of one scenario that was wrong in the v2.3 version with the status bar notification: if you had the 100% or "charged" level color set to none/off, then I wasn't updating the icon. This was fixed in my next version.

Gimme a few and I'll get back to you.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
(no, Steven, its not ready for you yet--soon...very soon :p))

Dangit.

I do know of one scenario that was wrong in the v2.3 version with the status bar notification: if you had the 100% or "charged" level color set to none/off, then I wasn't updating the icon. This was fixed in my next version.

Thanks!

I had that issue, brother.

Upvote 0
Please go to work for LauncherPro. J/K, that's another story. Your response time and dedication are amazing.

lol...no problem and my pleasure...gotta keep my AF users happy! ;)

You guys are what really keep me tweaking this app. I really enjoy the feedback and response from everyone and welcome the opportunity to fix and improve things (I clearly don't do it for the big bucks, eh? :D).

I'll post back when I figure-out what is going on!

Cheers!

Reactions: mruno
Upvote 0

Okay...I've charged-up my phone to 100% and tried to recreate this and am unable to...:thinking:...(I didn't wait until the charge got down to 70% of course (that will take a while ;))).

Perhaps I'm not using the same settings that are involved in this scenario...? Can you post or send me (scary.alien@gmail.com) a screen shot of your "Current Settings" menu item display?

There's also the aLogcat app that you could use to capture the app's log messages...let me know if you want to capture this info.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Let me try it today. If I see the problem I'm going to take a pic of the phone showing the notification bar percentage along with the Fancy Widget showing a different percentage. I'll email the pic to you for starters. Thanks.

No problem...thanks for helping me debug. The "Current Settings" screen should help me set my phone up the same way as yours so I can try to re-create what is going on.

I'm also thinking of creating a debugging option to output the settings and variables out to a file on the /sdcard for folks to send me in debugging situations. If I get this done today, I can send you (and yes, you, Steven :D) my v2.4 to have you test.

Thanks and have a great rest of your day!

Upvote 0
Totally cool!

I registered on this forum to comment on this cool app.

First, if nothing ever changes with this app I will continue to use it (until something better comes along) :)

Now a few observations comments and requests.

I installed this app for the charging LED indicator - this part is great. Personally I do not want the LED on during discharge and this is a bit challenging to manage. In the general settings there is the LED Notifications check box to "Display chaging state via LED indicator". Can you make options for charging only, discharging only, charging and discharging, none? This would allow the user to select charge state colors for the notification icon without having the LED glaring at you. Other options and suggestions for this follow...

Your action/color options could use some re-org and this might also be an alternative fix to the above mentioned issue. LED off is really an action, not a color - guess where this option belongs! :) Moving this would make settings more logical and easier to understand and use - at least for me. It would also allow the user to set the color (for the notification icon) without having the LED turned on.

I would also like to see separate settings for charging and discharging in the percent charged settings. I would set discharge to green for most of the discharge changing to amber and red as the charge state gets low. Conversely I would set charge to red until the charge state gets high, then change to amber then green as the charge state goes into 90% and 100% respectively. Just my thoughts on this status indicator...

These not insignificant changes would greatly improve this app in my opinion.

Thanks for the app, and thanks for listening;

J.P.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones