• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] BattMonX (Droid X Battery State Monitor via LED Indicator)

yea sometimes the battery icon disappears for me after i hit clear. i have LED on when screen is off and black icons enabled.

how about some 2.4 love this way???

lol...still building it (shhh! don't tell Steven! :D). My main goal for v2.4 was to try to remove the reliance on scanning/reading the battery status directories. I'm still coding / testing this functionality and I've made progress, but its not quite there yet...

Totally cool!

I registered on this forum to comment on this cool app.

First, if nothing ever changes with this app I will continue to use it (until something better comes along) :)

Thank you very much! I appreciate the sentiment and we're all happy to have you here on AndroidForums.

Now a few observations comments and requests.

I installed this app for the charging LED indicator - this part is great. Personally I do not want the LED on during discharge and this is a bit challenging to manage. In the general settings there is the LED Notifications check box to "Display chaging state via LED indicator". Can you make options for charging only, discharging only, charging and discharging, none? This would allow the user to select charge state colors for the notification icon without having the LED glaring at you. Other options and suggestions for this follow...

I probably could do this, but...that's why I added the "Turn LED OFF" "color" in the color choices (more on this below). It seemed to "fit" when I first developed the app. So, you can disable / turn off the LED for these various charging states through the LED color assignments. But I do agree that it should be listed under the "Action" settings (I just haven't done it yet). Its on the list. :)

Your action/color options could use some re-org and this might also be an alternative fix to the above mentioned issue. LED off is really an action, not a color - guess where this option belongs! :) Moving this would make settings more logical and easier to understand and use - at least for me. It would also allow the user to set the color (for the notification icon) without having the LED turned on.

I agree and have struggled with deciding when/if to implement this but haven't yet due to creating / supporting other features. Its on my list.

The LED and the battery status color assignments are tied to each other. You can turn the LED notifications off and whatever colors you've chosen for the monitoring mode will guide what color the status bar icon gets.

I've sort of been waiting for someone to ask to have these separated too, lol... Again, its just a matter of coding and supporting these (now seemingly endless :eek: :D ;)) options [for what started-out as a pretty simple app ;)].

I would also like to see separate settings for charging and discharging in the percent charged settings. I would set discharge to green for most of the discharge changing to amber and red as the charge state gets low. Conversely I would set charge to red until the charge state gets high, then change to amber then green as the charge state goes into 90% and 100% respectively. Just my thoughts on this status indicator...

lol...you're making my head spin! :D I think I can do this, but it'll take me some time to support all of the separate variables, etc. I'll put it on the punch list.

These not insignificant changes would greatly improve this app in my opinion.

Thanks for the app, and thanks for listening;

J.P.

Its not a problem at all and I very much appreciate the feedback. Your requests are actually pretty simple (or should be). I've just got to weigh the time it takes to code them vs. debugging issues and expanding the app to do cool new things.

BattMonX is really only my second "major" app and I'm really still learning. I like sharing my work with others who appreciate it and am happy to accommodate them when I can. I never really imagined that the app would morph into what it has today :).

Cheers and stay tuned...

Reactions: mruno
Upvote 0
The battery icon just returned for me after I hit thirty percent battery life which just so happens to be when the low battery led comes on

Can you tell me your settings? (and/or can you re-create the issue?)

If you can re-create at-will, I'd love to try to re-create this myself and see if my new v2.4 version also encounters this issue. I've got more debugging stuff in this version along with a few minor tweaks to how I handle the status bar icon.

Let me know (and perhaps I could send you a version for you to test?).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support!

The icon is shown when i charge my phone all the way up. it disappears if i later clear my notifications and reappears at 30%.

here are the settings from top to bottom
active
true
true
true
true

false
false
false
false
false

Dark violet
off
green
orange

on
on
on
blink

green
green
green
blue
blue
blue
yellow
yellow
red
red

on
on
on
on
on
on
on
on
on
on

shadow_vzw
true
true
true
false

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks for the support!

The icon is shown when i charge my phone all the way up. it disappears if i later clear my notifications and reappears at 30%.

here are the settings from top to bottom
active
:
:
Dark violet
off
green
orange

on
on
on
blink
:
:

mruno,

Thank you for this valuable information. I can see in my v2.3 code where the app did not handle turning off the LED when the "color" was OFF separately from the handling of the status bar notification.

I have/had already fixed this in my v2.4 version that will use a green battery status icon for the status bar notification when the monitoring color (whichever mode) is set to OFF [yeah, I know, I need to make "OFF" an action vs. a color...soon, I hope ;)].

Thank you for pointing this out...I had to scratch my head a little bit on this.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
one more thing, the low battery led notification takes precedence over the charging led notification.
it confused me at first because i plugged in my phone and it was still showing low battery when it should show it is charging.

Yes. The low-battery condition absolutely takes precedence over all other settings (please don't tell me you want an override for that :p (I will if you really think you'd want it)).

PM me with your email address or shoot an email to me at scary.alien@gmail.com and I'll send you the v2.4 version that I'm currently playing with.

Thanks, and cheers!

Upvote 0
Yes. The low-battery condition absolutely takes precedence over all other settings (please don't tell me you want an override for that :p (I will if you really think you'd want it)).

PM me with your email address or shoot an email to me at scary.alien@gmail.com and I'll send you the v2.4 version that I'm currently playing with.

Thanks, and cheers!

So far 2.4, so good. :)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
@scary alien

This is what I meant when I was talking about removing the battery icon from the status bar and adding one through your app, or a similar app:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...y-icon-status-bar-what-do-you-guys-think.html

That is a pretty sweet looking screen! Very nice.

I haven't had time to check out the services.jar file to see if there's a way to programmatically remove or disable the stock/system battery icon (I'm guessing that its more complicated than an API call, etc.), but I hope to this weekend...(this would really be cool, but I suspect if its possible, its only for root users).

I've been busy adding lots of extras, cleaning-up BattMonX, and prepping it to release v2.4 this weekend.

If you have any tips re. the services.jar, please PM me or shoot me an email to scary.alien@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to let everyone know that version 2.4 is now available in the Market. For my gracious beta testers, you'll want to de-install your last version and grab the new one from the Market (there's new stuff and fixes).

Cheers!

RECENT CHANGES (version 2.4 - 26-Mar-2011):

- app should now work on all Android devices by using system intents (now the default setting) vs. reading battery status files (still supported)

- supported low-battery condition sound or vibrate alert

- supported high battery temperature monitoring similar to low-battery monitoring (especially useful for those who overclock or tether)

- notification changes: make app launch when pull-down notification selected; option to allow notification to be cleared; add battery temperature & voltage to notification shade details

- make low-battery & high-temp monitoring independent from the two main monitoring modes

- show change log at first/fresh install

- revised menus to reference 'status' instead of 'LED' to indicate support of both status bar icon and LED

- fixed issue w/LED color none/off not showing status bar notification

- supported logging of trace messages to SD card file for debugging if needed

- added donate button

- lots of minor fixes and improvements

Upvote 0
Really great app. Thanks so much!

Hey, you are most welcome! Thank you for using it and providing your most-welcome feedback :).

Its been a fun project (and a lot of work, lol (I "blame" Steven58 for all of this :D)).

Hawaii, eh? Very cool! (I'm a little jealous ;)).

In case anyone is curious, here's the top 10 countries BattMonX is used in (according to stats provided by Google; pretty cool, eh?):

United States
United Kingdom
Germany
France
Canada
India
Russia
Singapore
Australia
Mexico

Upvote 0
Not until you put a Butler Bulldogs shirt on! :eek: ;) :D

Nevermind, I got you covered:

steven-butler-fan.jpg
:D :D :D

You know that Butler is based here in Indianapolis, right? ;)

Actually, there's a small bug I'm working on fixing. Will probably post a fix tomorrow night pending verification of the issue.

I've had two users report that the app reverts back to the "old" (non-1%) battery resolution at times. I've recreated it myself, but am not really sure why it happens (the charge_counter file must not always be present and my app checks it when the service is first started to know to use it for better reporting).

Once that's ironed-out, I should be able to post a fixed v2.5 and a donate version at the same time (still waiting on verification that my mechant account is activated too).

Cheers!

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Love the t-shirt! :rolleyes:

I don't know how you're gonna work on this, but the numbers in the toolbar are too small to read for me. It changed and got smaller, noticeably, when I flashed GB. Oh well.

Edit: Just bought the paid version.. Uninstalling the other one.

Thank you Steven, you are too kind!

I'm researching how to separate the Android-generated red-balloon/blob that contains the current percent charged setting with something better.

On my Eris running a CM version of GingerBread, the red-balloon covers almost all of the battery icon...but I thought this was because of the smaller screen size on the Eris...must be GB-related?

I'll report back when I've found a palatable solution.

Cheers!

P.S. Oh, yeah: go Bulldogs! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones