• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] BlueMuze - Bluetooth & Wi-Fi music & playlist transfer

- EXPERIMENTAL: New option to let the phone sleep during transfers in the settings - should save a lot of battery life!
- NEW: Manual Wi-Fi connections
- NEW: BlueMuze will remember the last IP connected to for manual connections
- Wi-Fi stability & performance improvements
- Bluetooth pairing improvements
- Bluetooth Name, Mac address, and Wi-Fi IP now shown to user
- Removed hard to see dark colors from menus
- Misc bug fixes
- New permissions relate only to Wi-Fi stability improvements

Upvote 0
Hi TrooperThorn,

Sorry, you're having trouble.

Can you check to be sure the playlist files exist on the SDcard in the /BlueMuze/Playlists/ folder with a file manager (such as Astro or OI File manager)

Did you backup the playlists using BlueMuze?

As always please feel free to email me directly for support too.

You can reach me at:

software (at) (my forum username) .com

Upvote 0
Hi TrooperThorn,

Sorry, you're having trouble.

Can you check to be sure the playlist files exist on the SDcard in the /BlueMuze/Playlists/ folder with a file manager (such as Astro or OI File manager)

Did you backup the playlists using BlueMuze?

As always please feel free to email me directly for support too.

You can reach me at:

software (at) (my forum username) .com

Hi alostpacket,

Yes, there are four playlists in the BlueMuze/Playlists folder from when I previously used the app to back them up just this week.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
(For anyone else reading this, we continued to conversation in PMs.)

The next step to try would be to reboot the phone due to a bug in Android itself sometimes making it look momentarily like you have 0 playlists.

Anyways, if anyone else sees any issues like this or any at all -- please feel free to contact me! Always happy to try and help and fix bugs.

cheers

Upvote 0
New update is out :)

-Bugfix release
-Major rewrite of playlist backup/restore & folder handling
-This should address most issues users may have been seeing
-Fixed an issue with Bluetooth connections failing on first try
-Fixed an issue with Wi-Fi manual connections

KOWNN ISSUES:

Note: the playlist backup & restore feature is still in beta. Please let us know if you have any problems whatsoever. ***Please be sure to make extra backups of playlist files to your PC (just in case)***

1) A few users have reported not seeing playlists when flashing CM7 or FCs when restoring playlists.

- This issue should be resolved in 1.4.7. Please let us know if you continue to see this problem

2) Playlists created in Google Music Beta are not visible in BlueMuze.

- Unfortunately there is little we can do for this issue. All 3rd party music apps have this problem. This is because Google hides the playlists it creates.

We urge you to please write Google and ask them follow their own "open data" policies and allow playlists to be seen by other apps. To learn more about Google's own policy, visit this Google website: the Data Liberation Front

3) Playlists use a forward slash / as a folder separator.

This is not a bug but rather the default folder separator for Android. However we hope to add a tool to help with converting files for the desktop in the future

Upvote 0
This program appeared to be working great at first, soon after I started noticing bugs though.

Issue #1) Every once in a while(not sure of a specific trigger) my playlist will be missing, this is temporarily fixed by restoring the playlist again.

Issue #2) Anytime I try to change the order of my songs they get thrown around randomly instead of where I place them, even when editing in the player instead of Blue Muze. This problem stops after uninstalling Blue Muze.

I understand this isn't the main feature of Blue Muze, however it'd be nice if it worked, and at the very least wouldn't 'cause the problems it does in issue #2. At any rate, thank you for the hard work.

Upvote 0
Hi Gogetalvl4 :)

Sorry you're having those two issues. As for the playlists disappearing, that's actually most likely an Android OS bug. This is why a backup and restore feature was created. A user had noticed his playlists get deleted by his phone sometimes and wanted a way to keep them safe. So I added backup and restore.

As for things appearing out of order this is the first I have heard of that particular bug, but I will definitely look into it.

Could you give me a bit more info?

1) What version of BlueMuze are you using, Paid or Trial?

2) What phone do you have?

3) is you phone rooted and/or have you installed a custom ROM on it?

4) What other apps do you use with music on the phone? Specifically, do you use Google Music (it has been known to not play nice with other apps)

anyways thanks for using the app and sorry again you're having trouble, hopefully we cant get this fixed for :)

Reactions: Gogetalvl4
Upvote 0
Hi Gogetalvl4 :)

Sorry you're having those two issues. As for the playlists disappearing, that's actually most likely an Android OS bug. This is why a backup and restore feature was created. A user had noticed his playlists get deleted by his phone sometimes and wanted a way to keep them safe. So I added backup and restore.
I've actually never had that happen before until after installing Blue Muze, the reason I searched that feature out was because Cyanogen had shit video playback so I needed to flash back to Gingerbread, and I didn't want to lose my playlists. I'm not saying it's a fault of your app('cause I wouldn't know), it just turns out that it only happened soon after installing it in my case.

As for things appearing out of order this is the first I have heard of that particular bug, but I will definitely look into it.

Could you give me a bit more info?

1) What version of BlueMuze are you using, Paid or Trial?

2) What phone do you have?

3) is you phone rooted and/or have you installed a custom ROM on it?

4) What other apps do you use with music on the phone? Specifically, do you use Google Music (it has been known to not play nice with other apps)

anyways thanks for using the app and sorry again you're having trouble, hopefully we cant get this fixed for :)
1)Trial

2) HTC Inspire 4G (AKA HTC Desire HD and HTC Ace)

3)Yes, I had Cyanogen installed on it, but I flashed back to stock, and then re-rooted.

Also, if you look at the comments in the market for the trial version one user said this: "saves playlists fine, but very buggy when reimporting them from sd card- it adds songs to the lists randomly." Sounds pretty similar to my problem.

Upvote 0
OK I will definitely take a look at that. Actually the playlist backup thing is going to get an overhaul soon. Partly because the M3U files dont seem to be "holding" the information correctly (especially for non English titles).

Anyways thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will try and have a fix soon :)

Reactions: Gogetalvl4
Upvote 0
OK I will definitely take a look at that. Actually the playlist backup thing is going to get an overhaul soon. Partly because the M3U files dont seem to be "holding" the information correctly (especially for non English titles).

Anyways thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will try and have a fix soon :)
Oh, that's probably part of my problem. Both of my playlists are foreign languages hehe.

Upvote 0
You know on second reading, I realized you were looking for a more technical description since you seem to be a dev yourself. Sorry about that.

Anyways, the reasoning was that I didnt want people stuck having to manually update -- ever.

This is because there may come a time when an update is required to keep the app working, and if someone held back and didnt update the whole app would break for them if they tried to connect to someone that had a newew version. I tried to plan for all situations so that different versions of the app are compatible and can send and receive music, but realized that it's entirely possible there are situations I havent considered yet that would cause different versions of the app to not be able to connect to each other.

This would happen if I ever had to change the applications Bluetooth UUID (say due to rampant piracy or something). It would also happen if I ever had to change the serializable meta objects that I send from one device to another over bluetooth to let them know what file is coming, the album name, how big the file is, etc.

These meta objects implement Serializable and because of this MUST match exactly. They must have the same package name, same properties, and same methods as well as the same serialVersionUID, which I generated myself to make sure that eclipse, dalvik don't generate their own that might break/change.

Anyways I hope thet sheds some light on the tech reasons :)

Still, would love to hear from anyone using the app their thoughts, I'll be pushing a big update later today and would love to see what people like/dislike so far to make sure I work out the bugs for the 1.0 release (version will be 0.9 as of later today).

Cheers

Looking back when youve developed MUZE with Internet access permission (wi-fi only updates) was a good design that saves limited data users some bytes in their monthly allotment.

Do we know any apps that were discovered using the internet access permission for unsavory interests? Perhaps an estimate number count todate (since we are not focusing on specifically named appbashing)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones