• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App brain sync question

Something weird is going on my my App Brain...I think. I haven't synced things in a looong time. But now I'm thinking about trying to get a replacement phone and I want to make sure I have all my apps backed up. Right now on my Eris, I've got about 60 apps. But when I log in to appbrain.com, my account only shows I've got 5. Shouldn't appbrain.com automatically sync with the apps I have on my phone and show an identical list? Am I missing something?

Something weird is going on my my App Brain...I think. I haven't synced things in a looong time. But now I'm thinking about trying to get a replacement phone and I want to make sure I have all my apps backed up. Right now on my Eris, I've got about 60 apps. But when I log in to appbrain.com, my account only shows I've got 5. Shouldn't appbrain.com automatically sync with the apps I have on my phone and show an identical list? Am I missing something?

I have never used AppBrain, although I read that it's popular. If you use an application such as Astro, there are tools to backup and restore your applications. Additionally, another method I use is to mount the card to a PC and look through the \backup\apps folder, and you can see what is installed that way. Just a couple of options that may help you.

If you are going to be returning your phone, make sure to keep your SD card (if it's a refurbished you're receiving it more than likely does not have one), and be sure to perform a factory data reset before handing it over.

Upvote 0

On your phone, open Appbrain
Then click on manage apps, then Sync with Appbrain.
Once you do that they should all show up on appbrain.com

Although I don't think that is a backup app.
I would look into Mybackup or Astro

Upvote 0
Once you sync from the phone app, then go to the web app & save the "on my phone" list to a new "backup" list.

I do it every couple weeks to see what I've used in the past & removed - reminds me of why I removed apps. and I can see if they've released a new version that might change my mind.

Upvote 0
I believe if you backup/restore with ASTRO, your apps are no longer linked with the Market (meaning you won't get future updates).

I use AppBrain when switching ROMs and it works perfectly. You log in within the app on your phone, it will list all of the apps you have installed, then you press "Sync with AppBrain" to save them. Then on your new phone (or ROM), get AppBrain again, log in, and it will show you your list and tell you which apps are installed and which are not. To install them, it takes you directly to the app's market page to download. It's pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
I'm just paranoid that since I have only 5 apps on Appbrain.com, if I select Sync with AppBrain on my phone, it will update my phone to what's on appbrain.com and I'll end up with only those 5 apps on my phone instead of vice versa. I did a factory reset about a month or two back and it seems like that's what I did and I had to re-download all my apps again...but I can't remember for sure, hence my paranoia.

Upvote 0
I'm just paranoid that since I have only 5 apps on Appbrain.com, if I select Sync with AppBrain on my phone, it will update my phone to what's on appbrain.com and I'll end up with only those 5 apps on my phone instead of vice versa. I did a factory reset about a month or two back and it seems like that's what I did and I had to re-download all my apps again...but I can't remember for sure, hence my paranoia.

When you open the AppBrain app on your phone, then sign in with your Google account, it will show you all of your Installed Apps (at the bottom of the list) as well as all of the apps that you previously had but are not yet installed. It won't mess anything up. If you then sync here, I believe it will update your list to the website. I have never used the website at all, but I've been switching ROMs back and forth and AppBrain keeps track of the apps for me ;)

Upvote 0
So I went to AppBrain on my phone and it has a list of all my installed apps. I selected Sync with AppBrain and it gave me the message that it was synchronizing with AppBrain. I went to appbrain.com, selected My Apps and now there are 0 apps displaying on appbrain.com. Am I just thick??

No idea, honestly I have never even been to the website... I was just letting you know how I used it when I was switching ROMs... I'm not sure how exactly the sync works with the website, sorry :(

Upvote 0
In the upper right hand corner? I see that in the upper left hand corner of the website. And yep, there is a "Apps on the phone" list - I'm guessing that's the default. Anyway, when I select that, there are no apps listed. Previously, it had the 5 apps I mentioned earlier. Now there's nothing. The weird thing is, over on the right there is a section that details:

Device:
Eris (last sync 4 min ago)

Apps:
39 total, 38 free (97%), 1 paid (2%)

Why isn't it displaying my 39 apps? Hmm...maybe it's a browser issue. I'm using Safari, let me try Firefox.....

Sonofab*tch! There they are. Grrrr...so it was a browser issue after all. Sorry for the false alarm everyone, but thanks for your help nonetheless!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones