• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App challenge - Cash prize inside :)

dkspook

Lurker
Aug 3, 2010
Challenge: Find a way to get rid of stock android/htc/carrier apps such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. - without voiding the warranty or rooting the phone. Preferably as easy and user friendly as possible.

I'm putting 25 of my own hard-earned dollars on the line, hoping that others will join in so we can get a proper "incentive" pool going :)

The developer will be free to sell this app on the market afterwards or give it away for free. If the developer chooses to make the app available for free, I'll double the 25$ initial incentive :)

The app will need to be tested and verified on at least 3 different android phone for the cash prize to be payed. I will be one of those testers (I have an un-rooted HTC Desire), other testers must be reputable Androidforums members not affiliated with the developer.

Feel free to ask question - And all you other forced-app-haters out there, feel free to add to the incentive pool, every cent counts!

It's not possible without rooting the phone.

Nobody has found a way to do it yet. A little over a 100 years ago, heavier-than-air flight was for birds only.

If a google engineer decides to fix this blatant error directly in Android itself, he'll get the prize :)

Find a way to do this without voiding the warranty or breaking any laws (please don't kidnap Eric Schmidt or anything like that), and the prize is yours :)

Upvote 0
Nobody has found a way to do it yet. A little over a 100 years ago, heavier-than-air flight was for birds only.

If a google engineer decides to fix this blatant error directly in Android itself, he'll get the prize :)

Find a way to do this without voiding the warranty or breaking any laws (please don't kidnap Eric Schmidt or anything like that), and the prize is yours :)

You are not comparing apples to apples. How would heavier-than-air flight have done if the plane was tied to the ground?

Linux operating systems have permissions attached to each file, device, etc. There is an owner and a group associated with each file. The files/services you want to remove/disable are owned by "root" and are a member of the "root" group. Root is the most powerful user on a Linux system. So you would need to be "root" to remove/modify the files/services you are speaking of.

So it may be more worth your while to post this on a linux/unix forum and ask the question...."How do I become root on a linux system where I have a reduced permission set, a small number of commands available and no control over the boot process or software installed?".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones