App compatability

Last Updated:

1. Droidert

Droidert Member This Topic's Starter

I'm wondering at the moment whether to get a wildfire (with 3gb internet/month but not allowed to use skype/windows live messenger) or a hero (500mb/month with unlimited skype/messenger). Spec wise, they're pretty similar, with the differences being that the wildfire has a lower resolution screen, but will probably run slightly faster due to more RAM.

Basically, I wanted to know if there were any notable apps I should be aware of that wouldn't work on the lower resolution screen. For example, the engadget app won't work on the wildfire, but would on the hero. Otherwise, I can get them for a pretty similar price, with the same minutes + texts, but the wildfire has a lot greater data allowance. With Wif-fi connectability in a lot of the places frequent, this shouldn't be too much of an issue, but does anyone know how data heavy apps like friendstream and google navigation are?

Another concern is that the wildfire, being newer, would probably get updates a heck of a lot quicker, though updating the hero to 2.1 at the moment is possible, would I stand to lose out on a lot being stuck on the hero for 2 years as opposed to the wildfire? Or vice versa?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The Hero is over a year old now. ePersonally, I think it is a better phone, but not as nice looking.

The Hero has been updated to 2.1 but there are no more updates coming. My Fiance has one. I tried an AOSP (froydVillain 1.5) android 2.2 rom, overclocked to 692Mhz and it was fast fast fast.

That said, Cyanogen are working on an AOSP 2.2 rom for the Wildfire.

Its a tough choice.... Its just that screen on the wildfire. How much more for you is it to get a Desire?

3. Droidert

Droidert Member This Topic's Starter

A lot. Probably

4. saj_2001ind

saj_2001ind Well-Known Member

can anyone pls let me know if Layar app works with wildfire ?

5. SUroot

Just try it.

6. SUroot