App confusion after 4.2Support

1. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

Having upgraded my wife's Nexus 7 to Android 4.2 I was keen to add my own account on the device. I was surprised to discover that I didn't get access to the installed apps but had to download my own selection. What was more disappointing was that several of my apps were flagged as not compatible with the device. For example the BBC iPlayer and CNN. Yet when my wife logs in she can run these apps, which were installed under 4.1.

Anybody else have this experience ? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

This will be because the BBC developers have set the compatability info in the iPlayer app is some way that clashes with 4.2.
    Fixerman likes this.
  3. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

I would appreciate some guidance as I am a novice on Android. Thanks for your kind offer!:)
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The app isnt compatible with multiple user profiles (4.2). Its not going to work until the developer updates it.
  5. Fixerman

Fixerman Member

But it works perfectly on my wife's profile!:confused:
  6. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer Guide

Unless your wife has a multi-personality problem that's a single profile.

If your wife uninstalls it then you can probably install it in your profile - but you can't install it in both profiles at the same time.
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

There may be some trickery you can do to get it to work with both, but it'll require editing files on the device. Let me do some digging.
  8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey everyone,

I have removed a few posts regarding a troubleshooting technique, which can also contribute to app piracy. I understand that was not the intention, but we just don't want that information in the open forums.

Just for your information, currently each paid app is only authorized to be used on one user account. With the introduction of multiple user profiles on a single device, this brings into question whether apps from one profile can be used on the same device under another profile. The current answer is no, and attempts to get around this limitation amount to piracy.

If privacy isn't a concern, the best solution is to just use the other profile when you want to use the app in question. If it is a concern, perhaps creating a shared account, where all app purchases are made from, could be a good compromise for you. Thanks for understanding. :)
  9. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

This is a symptom of the age. I can't keep everything in my house updated all the time. Then sometimes when something new comes out even the app developers cant keep up.