1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

App for adding groups to the phone book?

Last Updated:

1. jeff000

jeff000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app that will allow me to make groups for my contact list? something nice and easy with tabs or something. Just need groups nothing else special.

And free since Canada still doesn't do paid apps.

Advertisement
  2. jeff000

Anyone?

The google contacts has groups online, so why can't these groups be sorted on my phone?

3. jhughes23

jhughes23 Member

I would love to know the answer to that question as well...how could google create and email app on their own phone and it not have soooo many features that their standard emailing has...such as copy & paste too.

Having to enter multiple contacts one at a time in the "Address" box is ridiculous.

4. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Well-Known Member

the more I use it (droid) the more dissappointed I am with the contact aspect of the whole Google approach, but especially the virtually useless contact feature on droid. it is horrible!

5. nv680

nv680 New Member

I had the same problem, the Groups I entered in Google Contacts didn't show up as such on the Droid. An app called Clix fixed that. I think it's $0.99 but well worth it.

I tried a free one but it duplicated many of my contacts and didn't work as well.

6. jeff000

There is copy and past... and you can send to multiple contacts with ease too. I have a magic, but I don't see why yours would be different.

I don't get the paid apps in Canada :(

7. jhughes23

jhughes23 Member

I have a Droid, and yes, you can copy & paste, but not in the body of an email that was received. And Yes I can send an email to multiple contacts but you have to enter each contact in one at a time, you can't go to your contacts list and check off a bunch of contacts at once.

I did however find out how to create and actual "Group" using the Droid...since Group contacting does not transfer over from Gmail to the Droids Gmail.

I already posted on a different thread how to create groups...search: "Creating Groups"...look for my post...its a pain in the a** though.

8. rich_r

rich_r Active Member

Well it's not obvious, but the Google Contacts DO get transferred over. Go into Contacts->Display Options. The click on your gmail account (under "Choose contacts to display"). When you do that it expands to show all of your groups and you can select which one(s) you want to display.

9. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

I think most people realize this, but the issue with groups is that you cannot email that group like you can in gmail, nor can you sort by groups when you are looking for contact.

10. jhughes23

jhughes23 Member

Exactly, all that does is enter those contacts into your contacts list, it doesn't "group" them together as one contact.

But there is a way to do it. Create a new contact in your gmail on your computer and just enter more than one email address in the email address box separating them all by commas with no space.

emailaddress@here.com,emailaddress@here.com, ect...

you can also do this on your droid as well but you have to separate them with <emailaddress@here.com>, <emailaddress@here.com>, ect..

It also is much quicker on your computer, obviously

11. DOOG9517

DOOG9517 Active Member

Jhughes you are the man! I never had the thought to set up a group with just commas separating the addresses. Now I can invite a group of people to my calendar events. Thank you so much!