App for Better Volume Adjustment?Support

Last Updated:

1. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Even with stock earbuds, the Epic's lowest volume setting is hot enough to cause hearing damage if used over long periods of time, particularly if the style of music being listened to isn't classical and has a continuous loud dynamic level.

With higher quality earbuds like the Etymotic HF2, UE Superfi 5vi and Shure E4c (all of which I've tried), the lowest setting becomes unbearably loud.

Since the music player and system adjust the same exact level, there's no way to affect the gain structure of the Epic, which means that better earphones become painful to listen to -- which is a shame, since the Epic sounds good out of the box and benefits from the upgrade.

Does anyone know of a different music player or app that allows you to adjust the volume to lower levels than the system volume currently provides?

Advertisement
  2. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let me add that I've looked at the volume adjustment apps in the store and the ones I've found simply consolidate existing volume level controls but don't adjust the base volume to a safer level.

As picky as my complaint might sound, it actually raises another potential class action suit issue, as volume limiters can't save users' hearing if the base volume doesn't go low enough to allow the precaution to work. People could experience permanent hearing loss without a volume limiter that keeps the sound within a safer range.

The last-ditch solution would be to attach a cable extension with an analog volume control to the earphones' miniplug, but who wants to lengthen cables that are already too long to add fussy external controls? Most serious earphones have cables that are too long already.

3. benreaves

benreaves Member

4. Astromere

Astromere New Member

Were you ever able to find a solution?

I've in a similar boat, but I'm frustrated by the speakerphone volume too. I use the phone for an alarm clock and I'd rather not be scared out of bed by even the lowest volume setting. I'm using an alternate alarm program that can access the full volume range, but if that program can why can't I in general? Seems like they set the notches on the volume sliders as over 60-100 instead of using the full range.

5. nstg8r

nstg8r Well-Known Member