[APP] Fresco (NASA Astronomy Picture Of the Day viewer)

Last Updated:

1. Toverbal

Toverbal Member

I would like to share with you guys an app I recently finished called Fresco. With Fresco you can view images posted on the Astronomy Picture of the Day website of NASA. Every image has an explanation written by a professional astronomer and every image ever posted on this website is available in this app (starting somewhere back in 1995) and the goal was to create a very polished, responsive, fast and easy to use interface while being very feature rich.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Features
    * View over 5800 images with a new one being downloaded every day
    * Mark images as favorites
    * View a random image with one button click (I use it to find cool pictures and stories, you can cycle through all images or your favorites)
    * View a grid with image archive (with ascending, descending and random sorting)
    * Full Text Search for images (e.g. searching for 'apollo moon armstrong' will show all images containing those words, the index uses Porter Stemming Algorithm)
    * Double click an image to view it full-size and you can zoom it
    * Set image as wallpaper
    * Automatically set wallpaper to today's image as soon as it's downloaded (my favorite)
    * Share images (via all channels available on your device)

Why it was made
    For a long time I was used to a similar app called NasaImages, but it disturbed me that it had a sluggish interface, showed wrong dates and was not able to correctly show 'special characters' like

Advertisement
  2. Toverbal

Toverbal Member

Version 1.3.0 has now been released, it will appear in the market shortly :) You could also download it manually here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11837707/fresco/apks/Fresco_1_3_0.apk

Changelog:
    - Added a complete archive of the Nasa image of the day (iotd) images (found on NASA - Home), over 2300!
    - Added the latest iotd to the wallpaper selection screen
    - Clarified the tabs on the wallpaper selection screen by making the page indicator lines thicker and moving them to the top
    - Improved image resizing of smaller images (they will now stretch)
    - Improved memory utilization when opening large images

Images showing the changes:

The main screen now shows 'Latest APOD' and 'Latest IOTD' in stead of 'Today's image'
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The image archive now shows the source of the image in the top right corner (with a 50% transparency)
    [​IMG]

Choosing a new wallpaper after notification now has added the Latest IOTD image and the page indicators have been made thicker and moved to the top for clarity
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!
  3. Toverbal

Toverbal Member

Another update, version 1.4.1 is available in the market now!
    Link: Fresco

Changelog:
    1.4.1 (mar 5, 2013)
    - [3.0+] Fixed issue with the picture frame widget not fully resizing on high resolution devices

1.4.0 (mar 3, 2013)
    - Rewrote background worker mechanism, this should fix all 'freeze' situations and make Fresco a lot more responsive (like it should)
    - [3.0+] Added (scrollable) home screen widgets for today's image (Picture frame, just text or both)
    - Fresco now chooses an appropriate location for cached images and this location is now editable in settings
    - Notifications of new wallpapers didn't work until the app was started at least once
    - In the select wallpaper dialog you can now open Fresco (to read the text of the image)
    - Removed unused space on imageview (sometimes the text was even not visible without scrolling while half of the screen was black)
    - [3.0+]Widgets are now clickable
    - Automatically setting an IOTD image as wallpaper could fail

Have fun!