• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

Hi,

You need to go into your google voice account and change the call forwarding settings. You need to forward calls to google chat and not to your cell phone number.

Under google voice account, under phones, it has two options one is to forward calls to my phone # and the other is to forward it to google chat, but the incoming calls aren't coming through. I have google chat checked. What am I doing wrong?

Beeray

Upvote 0
This may have been answered, but I haven't seen it.

I live in Canada, and Google voice isn't available here. But GrooVe IP uses Google Voice for access. So does that mean GrooVe IP won't not work for me? I've already installed it, and logged in under my google account, but when i attempt to dial out, it says that it cannot complete my call.

Any recommendations?!

Upvote 0

I live in Canada, and Google voice isn't available here. But GrooVe IP uses Google Voice for access. So does that mean GrooVe IP won't not work for me? I've already installed it, and logged in under my google account, but when i attempt to dial out, it says that it cannot complete my call.

No it wont work in Canada due to the GV restriction.

Upvote 0
every time i try to make a phone call i get a please try again measage and it hangs up. i am trying to use this app through a galaxy tab on sprint. is there a fix for this??

Hi,

Don't know if you're still having this problem. But try making a call from your pc using the "call phone" feature in gmail. See if that fixes it. Also make sure your language preference in google voice is english. And that your email address (username) linked to google voice is a gmail address.

Upvote 0
Still can't get incoming calls. Any thoughts?

Hey, sorry for the slow response. Been traveling. For incoming calls you need to make sure calls are forwarded to google chat in your google voice account. You also may need to sign out of google chat/talk in all other locations including the google talk app on your device.

Upvote 0
Hey, sorry for the slow response. Been traveling. For incoming calls you need to make sure calls are forwarded to google chat in your google voice account. You also may need to sign out of google chat/talk in all other locations including the google talk app on your device.

Trust me I did that many times over, but no success. I even deleted the gv app from my phone and it doesn't work. I checked and calls are forwarded to chat. Could the problem be that I am using go launcher?

I swear I might just give up!

Beeray

Upvote 0
Trust me I did that many times over, but no success. I even deleted the gv app from my phone and it doesn't work. I checked and calls are forwarded to chat. Could the problem be that I am using go launcher?

I swear I might just give up!

Beeray

Also, make sure you are not logged into Google Chat on any other devices. (such as when you leave Gmail open in a web browser, have the downloadable chat program running, etc...)

Reactions: Beeray
Upvote 0
I just found the problem, it's really stupid, but, I was signed into reader from google on my phone and that threw it off. Who knew? I can't believe it! I thought of everything but that. Thanks for everyone's help.

Rochelle

Glad you figured it out. We are experimenting with a new value someone pointed out to us that may increase our priority when calls are routed. Hopefully that should reduce the need to sign out from everywhere.

Upvote 0
Here is a really silly question, how do I know when the call is being received thru the app and not the regular phone? Is there a different display as when u make a call?

Rochelle

Yes, you should see the same in-call screen for incoming calls as outgoing calls. Also our incoming call screen, before you pick up, should look different than your native one.

Upvote 0
Thanks I thought so, my incoming calls were going thru the native phone and not through the app. It makes great out going calls but I really don't know how to get it to ring for incoming calls. I have it set to go through google chat and I am logged off chat and gtalk. Thanks for the help.

The problem is that this was previously registered with sipdroid, a pbx box. I may just get a new gv # Thanks.
Beeray

Upvote 0

No it wont work in Canada due to the GV restriction.

To clarify, I understand this to mean that it won't work for someone who lives in Canada and who can't get a GV number.

For someone who has a GV number, Groove IP will make and receive calls just fine when they're in Canada, right?

Upvote 0
To clarify, I understand this to mean that it won't work for someone who lives in Canada and who can't get a GV number.

For someone who has a GV number, Groove IP will make and receive calls just fine when they're in Canada, right?

If you have a GV account/number then GrooVe IP will work. We have people using the app all over the world.

Upvote 0
#2 is on our list of things to investigate. Not sure what can be done about #1.

Is the issue that Google Voice actually checks the status before routing the incoming call? In other words, does 'invisible' status prevent incoming calls?

Obviously, it is pretty easy to change to invisible with something sorta like this:

<iq type='set' to='username@gmail.com'>
<query xmlns='google:shared-status' version='2'>
<invisible value='true'/>
</query>
</iq>

But if the problem is how Google Voice actually routes that incoming call (i.e. if it is contingent on the status being "available") then there probably is nothing that can be done at the moment.

Upvote 0
I could use some help dialing out on my Nexus one. I assume it does work on a t-mobile nexus one? I get a green dot and I dial out. It looks like it connects for a second then goes to red dot and hangs up. Then after a few seconds I can get the green dot back.

Surely someone has something to try? Is there direct developer support?

Upvote 0
I could use some help dialing out on my Nexus one. I assume it does work on a t-mobile nexus one? I get a green dot and I dial out. It looks like it connects for a second then goes to red dot and hangs up. Then after a few seconds I can get the green dot back.

Surely someone has something to try? Is there direct developer support?

Using WiFi? Or 3G? Also, what version of the app?

Upvote 0
Using WiFi? Or 3G? Also, what version of the app?

WIFI, strong signal. v1.1.5 I just read a thread in another forum where you suggested going into gmail and making your first call. That seemed to help. After that I was actually able to make the other end phone ring. At this point though it wont stay logged in very long before it drops. I dont think it would stay logged in long enough to have a conversation.

BTW, I did mention t-mobile Nexus One but this Nexus One doesnt actually have an account or SIM card.

Upvote 0
WIFI, strong signal. v1.1.5 I just read a thread in another forum where you suggested going into gmail and making your first call. That seemed to help. After that I was actually able to make the other end phone ring. At this point though it wont stay logged in very long before it drops. I dont think it would stay logged in long enough to have a conversation.

BTW, I did mention t-mobile Nexus One but this Nexus One doesnt actually have an account or SIM card.

Try turning "Keep Screen Alive" on in the troubleshooting menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones