• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

so a solution would be to just use speakerphone then? or will it just wont work at all on the Intercept?

You can use it with the default settings, which will cause speakerphone. It should work if you use a headset as well. Or if you want you can email me and I can cancel/refund your order if you purchased from the android market.

Reactions: ndnjon
Upvote 0
may be off topic but I already had google voice running with an obi110 and I had the google voice forwarded to my work phone so i could pick up call where ever it rang. I just purchased the optimus v with virgin mobile and installed groove ip.. the grove ip works great but maybe too good. My obi110 no longer rings at the house only the cell phone with groove ip on it. I only have selected the google talk and not the cell # to the optimus phone to forward too and I have logged out of my google voice account. i have changed nothing in the obi110. Calling from both works great. just incoming calls seem to have been routed to the VM phone and no longer to the obi110. I un-installed the groove ip and my phones (obi110) work as they used to. any help would be appreciated thank you

my goal is when someone dials my google voice # to ring all my phones at the same time like it used to prior to using groove ip

Upvote 0
may be off topic but I already had google voice running with an obi110 and I had the google voice forwarded to my work phone so i could pick up call where ever it rang. I just purchased the optimus v with virgin mobile and installed groove ip.. the grove ip works great but maybe too good. My obi110 no longer rings at the house only the cell phone with groove ip on it. I only have selected the google talk and not the cell # to the optimus phone to forward too and I have logged out of my google voice account. i have changed nothing in the obi110. Calling from both works great. just incoming calls seem to have been routed to the VM phone and no longer to the obi110. I un-installed the groove ip and my phones (obi110) work as they used to. any help would be appreciated thank you

my goal is when someone dials my google voice # to ring all my phones at the same time like it used to prior to using groove ip

The issue is that the obi also connects through google chat. Google voice will only send calls to one sign in of google chat. So it's sending the call to GrooVe IP. About the only work around would be to exit out of GrooVe IP and only start the app when you want to make an outgoing call.

Upvote 0
The issue is that the obi also connects through google chat. Google voice will only send calls to one sign in of google chat. So it's sending the call to GrooVe IP. About the only work around would be to exit out of GrooVe IP and only start the app when you want to make an outgoing call.

what if I went back to google voice, sipsorcery and sipgate with my linksys pap2 and stopped using the obi110 ?

Upvote 0
You can use it with the default settings, which will cause speakerphone. It should work if you use a headset as well. Or if you want you can email me and I can cancel/refund your order if you purchased from the android market.
no refund necessary, I will test it when I get home, it should still be good even though the calls will be on speaker. Very good app :)

Upvote 0
what if I went back to google voice, sipsorcery and sipgate with my linksys pap2 and stopped using the obi110 ?

I use a similar setup as my "home" phone. GV + IPKall + Sipsorcery and a Linksys RT31P2 phone adapter (which I manually unlocked...another LONG story, altogether!) :)

Now, when someone calls my GV number, it rings both on my home phone and on Groove IP on my Android. I can pick up either to answer the call. Somewhat surprisingly, I can also make calls from both "lines" simultaneously.

After a couple months of testing these setups, I was confident enough to pretty much axe my cellular plan. With the amount of money I am saving (over $100/month), the "too good to be true" alarm has been sounding from day 1.

I doubt it will be long before GV starts charging or changes the license to prohibit calls from 3rd party software.

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue using GrooveIP and the call log? Whether it's received/dialed/missed calls in my phone's log, it shows the 10 digit numbers instead of the contacts' name. I've tried saving the numbers in my contacts a few different ways but no luck.

The caller ID works fine when someone is calling, but if I get a missed call it's hard to tell who called.

When I use my actual number, the call/receive log displays fine.

I've already set up GrooveIP. I forgot how I did the setup but when I turn off groove IP, I can only make outgoing calls with google voice, but not receive incoming. This should be nomal right?

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue using GrooveIP and the call log? Whether it's received/dialed/missed calls in my phone's log, it shows the 10 digit numbers instead of the contacts' name. I've tried saving the numbers in my contacts a few different ways but no luck.

The caller ID works fine when someone is calling, but if I get a missed call it's hard to tell who called.

When I use my actual number, the call/receive log displays fine.

I've already set up GrooveIP. I forgot how I did the setup but when I turn off groove IP, I can only make outgoing calls with google voice, but not receive incoming. This should be nomal right?

On some phones the api we used to populate the call log isn't pulling information from the contacts list. Not really sure why it works differently on some phones but we believe we've found a solution. Fix will be in the next update.

Reactions: zero8097
Upvote 0
GrooVe IP works fine on WiFi but on 3G when I call someone, I can't hear the other person and they can't hear me. When the other person calls me, I can hear them but they can't hear me. I'm in Chicago so my 3G is as good as it can get. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry, no real suggestion. If it works well over wifi there's really no setting to change. All the settings generally change the phone behavior and don't influence the network at all. The STUN server setting is really the only exception, but if that was the issue you'd get one way voice not no voice. It could be that your carrier blocks VoIP

Upvote 0
I looked at the Google dev links provided and it says they support more than one codec (maybe a recent update?). Particularly more bandwidth-efficient GSM and speex codecs.

It would be nice if Groove IP had a setting that allows adjusting to prioritize performance (GSM or speex) or quality (the current uncompressed codec or something even better?). I've used Sipdroid in the past and remember GSM & speex use about 13kbit/s, which would be handy in spotty 3G areas. The voice quality on those codecs seem pretty good as well. So I'd rather use the more efficient codec as an insurance against stuttering or fade-outs during a conversation. I believe speex even has built-in echo-cancellation feature, which I know would help a lot in VoiP calls.

Upvote 0
I looked at the Google dev links provided and it says they support more than one codec (maybe a recent update?). Particularly more bandwidth-efficient GSM and speex codecs.

It would be nice if Groove IP had a setting that allows adjusting to prioritize performance (GSM or speex) or quality (the current uncompressed codec or something even better?). I've used Sipdroid in the past and remember GSM & speex use about 13kbit/s, which would be handy in spotty 3G areas. The voice quality on those codecs seem pretty good as well. So I'd rather use the more efficient codec as an insurance against stuttering or fade-outs during a conversation. I believe speex even has built-in echo-cancellation feature, which I know would help a lot in VoiP calls.

Hi,

Google Chat supports more codecs. But Google Voice does not. Google Voice supports only G711 mulaw.

We have been working on integrating the speex echo canceler. But honestly not impressed so far. It seems to detect echo just fine but doesn't get rid of it, just lowers the volume of it a bit. But it's still audible. Plus it seems to use a decent amount of cpu.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

VM Optimus using GV # since day 1.

I have been following this thread.
I want to buy this app, but I got lost during the thread posts, particularly the Google Chat part.
Is there a definitive non-techie step by step guide I can follow?

I wasted much time with the Sipdroid method finding it much too complex.
I just couldn't understand the extra steps and operations you had to employ, so I abandoned it.

Also, can I buy the app from the Market using my laptop, then transfer the app over with USB cable? I am paranoid about putting a CC number into my phone. It has no malware/virus protection on it as far as I can see. What protection do you folks use?

I want to load more apps to the phone, but how do I get them to load to the card?
Is it best to get a larger card? I only have the stock 2GB.

Many thanks
z3

Upvote 0
Voice without Minutes!

This app, in conjunction with Google Voice, lets you make unlimited calls to any phone in US or Canada using the data connection of your mobile device without using up any of your mobile minutes.

Requires a free Google Voice account. For more information on Google Voice visit the Google Voice web site at http://www.google.com/voice.

The app is currently listed at $3.99

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip

Great job snrb team!
This really helps my Dad call back to the home country & when he travels there won't be a need to get a GSM phone.

I haven't delve into the FAQ yet since we just got the app for him yest & only tested the phone domestically so please pardon the noob questions:

1) The echo problem - briefly read somewhere on net that it was caused by the speaker phone turning on automatically - true?

2) Also - when making a call - does the call receipient see my Dad's GV phone# or some generic #?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones