App Idea (Tell me if already done)

1. Griffolion

Griffolion Member

Hey everyone,

With my new Xoom tablet i had a small idea for an app and wanted to know it's feasibility.

When i'm out and about with my tablet and phone, i would prefer to email from my tablet due to the larger keyboard etc. However something like SMS is limited to the phone. I was wondering if an app that takes the SMS messages from your phone and transfers them to your tablet and then allows you to write a response on your tablet, give it back to the phone for it to send would be a good idea?

Is it technically possible?
    What will be required from the coding side, also will a web server be required to mediate the interactions between the two?
    Will a user need to sign up to the service so as to register devices etc or could you possibly use Google accounts?

I was thinking of doing a free thing for people with tablets to use, I figured it would be cool. Mind you if it's already been done thats cool!

Advertisement
    :
  2. jodbot

jodbot Member

It's an interesting one, in that it brings up the problem of non-cloud computing, something the big boys are trying to rectify by storing all users' data in one place (supposedly this will be the phone) and have PCs and tablets essentially just interacting with the phone rather than doing any significant storage or processing themselves.

The problem is, as valid as your idea might be, the app would only be solving a miniscule proportion of the larger problem. It's asking to become obsolete within a year. But last of all, I would hesitate programming something like this myself because the number of people who want to edit/send texts from their tablet via the phone is probably quite small. And I would also argue that a tablet is no better than the phone! Would it not be better to get a phone more adapt to texting? :p

Saying that, NFC, Wifi, bluetooth and USB could all potentially work for connecting the devices, and a server certainly shouldn't be necessary.