• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

app install requires google account

Google Play does not download to your computer, clicking "install" in the Google Play website makes your phone download it automatically on itself. No files go though your computer. Its like, its a remote button for the servers to send the app to your phone. Also, with an account, you send your device details to Google, so they know what phone model you have and show you only apps compatible with your phone. Incompatible apps may cause problems.

It's the same as all the legit app stores out there, Apple AppStore, Windows MarketPlace, Nokia Ovi Store, GetJar, Amazon, all of these app stores need an account for you to be able to download from them.

EDIT: A Google account would also let you manage apps on two different devices.

Upvote 0
Google Play does not download to your computer, clicking quot;install" in the Google Play website makes your phone download it automatically on itself. No files go though your computer.

Sorry for the confusion; I thought that was obvious. In other words, the "phone" is the computer.

Also, with an account, you send your device details to Google, so they know what phone model you have and show you only apps compatible with your phone.

I fail to understand why a google acount is necessary for this information. My phone has a model number from LG, not google, no?

It's the same as all the legit app stores out there, ... GetJar, ... need an account for you to be able to download from them.

Um, no, that is not correct. I had an LG phone (which I purchased before I understood the distinction of smartphone). I downloaded about a hundred jar files for it from GetJar to my phone without an account.

Upvote 0
Google set things up that way, so a Google account is required. It's not that big a deal, since the account is free, and you don't really have to give them any real information. Just make up a name, address, etc, and you get an account. It's not that different from registering on this forum to be able to post. You do need to give some real information if you want to buy apps, since a valid credit card is required, but for free apps you can just make up the data and get a free account.

Reactions: michaelburns
Upvote 0
I fail to understand why a google acount is necessary for this information. My phone has a model number from LG, not google, no?

You don''t understand. Google needs to know what device you are using before it sends you any apps. If you don't have a Google account on your phone, Google Play Store won't know what phone you have. It won't be able to differentiate your LG from a Samsung model.

Take it this way, My sister has a Galaxy Fit, I have a Galaxy SL, both Samsung. Her Google Play Store only shows what apps are compatible for her phone. Me doing a same search on my phone would show up more results including apps that won't run on her phone even if I install the apk on it (free apps). There was a time when I installed an app via apk on her and it caused her phone to crash several times a day. I was apparently incompatible. Since then I don't let her leech from my apk backups anymore. For example, Instagram won't show up for her phone, and won't install on her phone because she doesn't have a graphics chip capable of OpenGL support.

This is a way to make sure your phones get apps that are approved to be able to run on your phone. Incompatible apps may result to crashes on your phone. This is also a protection for people to not buy apps that are incompatible to their device. This is also a way to keep your apps synced. If you own a phone and a tablet, both devices would have the same apps installed. If enabled or the device supports it, the moment you add your Google account to a second device (like a second phone for example), it will automatically download all the apps currently in your previous device that are compatible to it without your intervention. You wont have to go download them one by one yourself.

Um, no, that is not correct. I had an LG phone (which I purchased before I understood the distinction of smartphone). I downloaded about a hundred jar files for it from GetJar to my phone without an account.

I may be mistaken about Getjar, since I already have an account with them even before I had an Android phone (got apps for Nokias from them too), but doesnt change the fact for other app stores like Amazon and Apple's Store wants it.

Honestly I don't see a reason why to not make a Google account for apps. If its privacy you're concerned of, just make a dummy Gmail account and don't sync anything to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones