App Inventor better than Coding?

1. BridgetZtar

BridgetZtar Member

Hi, I'm new to coding and to app inventor. I'd like to build a decent app for Android, could anyone tell me how App Inventor measures up against actual coding, please?

Advertisement
  2. Appventive

Appventive Well-Known Member

I develop apps for Android for a living, but also played around a bit with App Inventor, mainly to teach my son a bit about programming.

App Inventor is pretty cool and fun to play with, and if you're new to programming, I think its a good way to get started.

But, other than teaching you some basic concepts of programming, its not really going to help directly with learning to develop Android apps for real. For that you'll need to learn Java and the Android SDK.

Cheers,
    Steve
  3. BridgetZtar

BridgetZtar Member

Thanks a lot, Steve :) That really helps.
  4. BridgetZtar

BridgetZtar Member

Thanks Rachel. That's actually really interesting because what I might do is use App Inventor alongside lone coding anyway, as I'm only just starting to learn Java, and I think it will at least help to be able compare the code it creates with my own, and if it turns out to be able to create the sort of app I have in mind too, then all the better :)
  5. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

If you are an old developer like me, back then there was a product called Borland Delphi or MS Visual Basic, they hep to create a GUI Windows program in minutes with their drag-and-drop feature. This is in comparison to using C++ to code it.

So again the analogy is here, you can get an Android up fast with App Inventor but then when requirement start to pile up, you really need to have Java and Android SDK to make them.
  6. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

As its built and grows to do more and more, the graphical user interface of app inventor will give it an edge, as it open to doors of creativity beyond those who like to dive deep into mile long code.

Its why computers took off in the first place once windows gave us graphical user interface to use over DOS code.
  7. Wizard59

Wizard59 Well-Known Member

That takes me back. I remember my first basic programs in qbasic before vb.