1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

app Market NOT available any longer after resetting HTC Hero

1. CrazyCruzan

CrazyCruzan Member

Hello,

I am giving an old HTC Hero to our 10yr old son and wanted to set it up as a WiFi and music player device. There is no phone service to the phone now. The previous carrier was C-Spire (previously known as Cellular South). I believe it is a CDMA device. Firmware is 2.1-update1.

I reset it to the original factory settings because I wanted him to have it with no previously loaded apps. The only app that I was wanting to reload was Pandora but when I tried to the access the app Market gave this URL and did not load the app Market page at all

[FONT=&quot]https://www.google.com/intl/%locale%/mobile/android/market-tos.html[/FONT]

I KNOW that I was able to access the app Market beforehand so I'm perplexed why it is not working any longer.

Also, the micro-SD card is missing, unfortunately. Do you think this has any bearing on this issue? I have ordered one and it will be here on Monday.

Finally, I've heard some things about ROOTING and was wondering if that is something that will be beneficial for this phone, in terms of being able to load apps and what not. Is that the ANDROID equivalent of jail-breaking?

TIA for your help!

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I believe that 2.1 update 1 was the old market. You most likely need the new Play store. It should auto-update, but if it's not, then you can either side laod the .apk for the new version, or root the phone and install a new ROM and the appropriate google apps to go with it.
  3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

The Android Market is all you will see on Android 2.1, which is what your handset has. Only handsets with Android 2.2 and up get the Google Play Store app. I think, however, your problem is related to the missing microSD card. Try throwing a microSD card into your handset and seeing if it will let you sign into the Android Market.

If that does not work, then you should make a post in the root section of this sub-forum which can be found here: Sprint Hero - All Things Root - Android Forums . We will gladly help you get Android 2.3, in the form of CyanogenMod 7.2, set up on your handset. Android 2.3 offers better battery life, smoothness, and other new features, anyway.
  4. CrazyCruzan

CrazyCruzan Member

I did put the micro SD card in and still no difference. I will go ahead and follow your recommendation and post to the Root sub forum.

Thanks for your guidance.