1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

App or Web Site?

Last Updated:

1. MoCoTerp

MoCoTerp Member This Topic's Starter

So I have loaded up with several apps like Endgadget, BankofAmerica, etc. instead of using their mobile website using my phone's web browser. In most cases, the app is alittle better but I was wondering how others feel about loading up on apps versus just using a browser version? Do you feel it clutters up the phone too much?

Advertisement
  2. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

I like components. I like widgets that have their own specific tasks. I've got about 100 apps and that's AFTER trying to thin the herd. Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer the question... :D

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

For me it really depends on the app/website as to which provides the best functionality.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Depends on the app/site for me. Sometimes the app is a waste of space. Sometimes it has some benefits over the site.

5. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Active Member

Depends on how well the app is designed, and whether or not it actually offers all of the features available on the full site.

The whole reason I got an Android device was so that I could use full blown desktop websites on the go - mainly because the mobile versions, and, as I'm seeing now, Android apps for the sites, usually don't offer all of the features of the full site.

Of course, apps have the advantage of being touchscreen optimized, but once you have an accurate touchscreen (which is, sadly, difficult to find on Android) and a good browser, that advantages starts to shrink rapidly.

Personally, I try to keep as much as I can in the browser. In order for me to install them, apps need to offer functionality that's not implementable on the web...

6. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

I was thinking there should be a list of apps that are basically just the mobile website, or in some cases not even as good. I've been going through a few and uninstalling the ones that I can just replace with a bookmark shortcut on my home screen. It saves space, and some apps (like Facebook) keep running in the background, no matter what settings you use.

Here's the ones I think the mobile website is just as good, if not better than the official app (there might be unofficial ones that are better though).

Facebook (I prefer the mobile site)
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    IMDb
    Moviefone
    Yelp

7. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I definately prefer an app for using forums but for everything else i prefer a browser :thumbup:
    Actualy i use the Youtube app, thats pretty good imo :)

8. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

Generally mobile app is supposed to offer some features that is not available from the mobile website. Then it make sense to use the app else a browser will do as fine. Features would be notification,camera and full screen rendering. Some mobile website UI are too small and zoom in distort the screen. Hence the mobile app is supposed to optimize this UI display over mobile website.

Conclusion: function and UI needs determine to use a mobile app or mobile website for me personally.

9. lachowo

lachowo Member

Usually native applications have fewer options, but more user-friendly interface. I use the native application, but when I buy a shares, I sit at the computer.

10. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

I don't think HTML5 is slow. It is more on the overall user experience using HTML5 and native. For smartphone with 5" and below, native fully utilize the full screen. For anything bigger than 5" it is like a small computer screen so HTML5 will suffice.

11. Spikey1109

Spikey1109 Well-Known Member

Just depends on the website. For me, if I use a website frequently, I would download the app, test it, and if it's faster/easier/more accessible etc. I would use it instead of the website. But if it's a website that I don't visit often I would stick with visiting it via the browser.

12. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

For me, it depends. If it's a website that I use often I'll install the app because the app usually has more options. If it's a website that I don't use often I'll stick with using their mobile web interface because I can't justify using app space for something that isn't often used.

13. Spikey1109

Spikey1109 Well-Known Member

EXACTLY the same for me. Liked.

ardchoille likes this.