1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

App permissions

1. 79jasper

79jasper New Member

I had seen to not download certain apps that ask for stuff they don't need.
    Say for example, a flashlight apps asking for access to contacts.
    I was going to download the ups and usps apps but they both ask for photos/media/files and camera/microphone.
    Anything strange about that? Or are they okay?

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

I'd be suspicious, but it could be so they can scan the barcode.
  3. 79jasper

79jasper New Member

Didn't think about that.
    But the microphone part doesn't sound right.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

I had to check Play for that, they just changed the way the show app permissions.:eek:

OK, it's what we thought before. The permission is listed under the heading "Camera/Microphone" but the actual permission listed under that section is "take pictures and videos" which ties in nicely with "control flashlight" and "full network access" and "receive data from Internet" which are listed under the heading "Other." It may need to use the flashlight (flash) to illuminate the barcode to take a picture (camera) and network access and recieve information in order to send the barcode info to UPS and then present what was returned in the app.

This thread may be dated, but it gives a good perspective on understanding permissions and how they may be used by apps.
    http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html
    codesplice likes this.
  5. 79jasper

79jasper New Member

Thanks, I'll check that out.