• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App Problems With New SanDisk Card

I was having so many 'not-enough-storage' issues with my LG Volt that I purchased a 32 GB card and installed it last night. I safely 'unmounted' and 'mounted' the card (twice actually) and downloaded Facebook and Instagram again then moved them to the card to save internal storage. The apps show up on my phone as before but when I try to access either all I get is a black screen on Facebook and a frozen screen on Instagram. After restarting my phone several times and deleting download data I still have the same problem. Should I uninstall and reinstall?

I read this forum before and that's what made me finally join. I contacted Boost Mobile (my carrier) for help with a previous issue but they are useless. Basically told me to buy a new phone. Advice I read here helped me fix my previous problem so here I am permanently. HELP!! :specsdroid:

Last edited:
Ok I am beyond frustrated. The more I try to fix this problem the worse it gets. I tried researching 'formatting the SD card' and did what I was instructed in a youtube video. (as I have no clue what fat32 is) Basically erased all the data on a brand new card which makes no sense at all to me. Mounted the card once again. I tried to install Facebook and Instagram and all I had was a moving blue line showing the progress that appears and just moves for ages and doesn't install anything. I left the Facebook app loading for an hour and the line just kept moving and nothing is loading.

Checked my internet connection and it's fine. So I went to Play Store...Clicked clear cache and then clear data. Still won't upload anything. Still just a moving blue line with no % 'progress.' Went back, clicked force stop...still nothing. Nothing should be this difficult. All I want is to have my new SanDisk card work and to upload my previous apps again. There must be a simple way to do this.

Upvote 0
You're right, it should not be this difficult and I'm not sure why you are having this problem. I have a few more dumb questions. When you say upload, do you mean move to the SD card? Did you try unmounting and mounting the SD card again? What class is this SD card (it should be marked on the packaging somewhere)?

Upvote 0
Ok, I reread your post. You really can't install an app from the Play Store directly to the SD card. You have to install it in the device and then move it to the SD card as you did before.

Other than that, I'm not sure why you are having a problem with the Play Store.

I know that. :specsdroid: :goofydroid: I unmounted the card before I even started to try to upload FB and IG. I tried to just upload to the phone. Won't work. Then I tried to put my old card back in. Still won't work. I have never had any trouble uploading anything to the phone unless I got the message "not enough storage' which is why I bought the card in the first place. Up until yesterday when I put this new card in I never had these problems.

Attachments

• 000 0 0123SX425_.jpg
    000 0 0123SX425_.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
By the way, you have a Class 4 card which should be adequate.

I read on another site that a Volt won't handle a 64GB so I ordered this one and I read that a class 4 was good enough. I think I may have figured it out but won't know if everything is good until I re-mount that card. So fingers crossed...I turned off wifi and reset it on my phone with the password (could it really be that simple?) o_O and Facebook uploaded. Trying the other apps and my bank app too. *sigh* If it all goes to crap when I put the card back in then I'm just factory resetting it all. :mad: :maddroid:

Upvote 0
Apps can't be moved to an external SD card unless your phone is rooted. Even then you can have issues with your phone by doing so. If you're unfamiliar with rooting, you can turn your phone into a paperweight. Also, if you're low on memory capacity, you won't be able to install new Apps properly from the play store to the internal memory. You need to uninstall Apps that may not be important that you installed previously. Apps which were installed on your phone originally are not going to uninstall.

Remember, the LG Volt does not have great capabilities and maybe that's why the person suggested that you get a new phone.

This may help with your current 'not enough storage' issues.

1. Clear application cache.

Each application has a cache of temporary files that may be taking up memory.

Try clearing the application cache from your larger applications to free up space.

Continue to clear the cache on the rest of your apps.

You may not be able to clear the cache for every application.

Rarely, an application may not function as expected afterward.

Be sure you clear only the application cache and not the application data.
    • If you clear the application data, you remove your personal settings and info such as login information and high scores.
    • If you clear the application cache, you don't remove your personal settings or information.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Scroll to Apps.
    3. Swipe to the All tab.
    4. Scroll/Select each large application.
    5. Tap Clear cache.
  2. Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset deletes any temporary files and can potentially free up internal memory.
    1. Turn your phone off.
    2. Remove the battery. After 10 seconds, reinsert the battery.
    3. Turn your phone back on.

Upvote 0
Look, in first place you don't have to format your card if it doesn't ask you to..those sandisk ones are very good that don't need that..
Question..did you uninstall the apps?(facebook & ig)..you mentioned you "deleted the download" but not sure if you refereed to the apps themselves...after you started having issues with the moving..that's what I would do..uninstall them and install them back..then reboot your phone..then after your phone starts again continue with the moving to the sd card..
Also I wouldn't just rule out that your phone won't handle a bigger sd card..you see, I have a very old Galaxy §² and as we speak there's a 120GB sd card inside of it..even I was told by every one (including "experts") that my phone won't handle a bigger than 32gb..just saying, you know.

Upvote 0
Before I bought the new Sandisk card I had a cheap card with only 4GB so I was constantly clearing the cache on the apps I could clear. However, I had no problem moving Facebook, Instagram, and Messenger to the 4GB card to free up space on the phone. The apps worked fine (although a little slow) and it was my photos/videos which took up space until I began to autosave them to the cloud. Still I wanted more memory anyway. I have absolutely no games and even left Pandora off. Now I just uploaded all 3 apps (FB, IG, & messenger) just to the internal memory and made certain they're working fine on the phone WITHOUT the card installed. Worked perfect until just now when I tried to move the apps to the 32GB sandisk card. Only IG seems to be working correctly from the card. With FB all I get is a blue 'moving' F on a blue screen and it's just stalled there. With Messenger all I'm getting is a black screen.

Upvote 0
@glc Just installed SD Insight and according to the app my card is genuine. @Xavier Black Yes I uninstalled all apps first. Rebooted the phone twice. Took out the battery, etc. Even cleared all data and logged in with my passwords again. I just moved all 3 apps back to my phone's internal memory and they are working wonderfully. The problem is when I move them to card. This makes no sense.

Reactions: philsam48
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones