• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [APP] QuickClock Overclock Assistant

So i have followed Airmaxxx's walkthrough on how to use quickclock and jrummys app in tandem. I set everything accordingly and it works for a while then locks up. Im not sure where to go from there. Ive tried increasing each number by 1 starting from the lowest speed then seeing if it reboots but that hasnt solved anything yet. I know each phone is different but maybe someone could point me in a general direction of what to do next.

If it matters, im also using some profiles in jrummys app...maybe i should buy setCPU and use profiles in there instead?

Upvote 0
So i have followed Airmaxxx's walkthrough on how to use quickclock and jrummys app in tandem. I set everything accordingly and it works for a while then locks up. Im not sure where to go from there. Ive tried increasing each number by 1 starting from the lowest speed then seeing if it reboots but that hasnt solved anything yet. I know each phone is different but maybe someone could point me in a general direction of what to do next.

If it matters, im also using some profiles in jrummys app...maybe i should buy setCPU and use profiles in there instead?

If you don't mind the dollar, I'd ask that you try out QuickClock Advanced to just use the Auto-VSEL finder. If it still gives you fits let me know.

Upvote 0

Please post all your settings so that I can give you some good feedback on what to do. :)

Upvote 0
I went ahead and spent the buck, and ran the automatic feature. Below is what it kicked out for me.

300mhz - 14 VSEL
600mhz - 29 VSEL
800mhz - 38 VSEL
1000mhz - 48 VSEL

It seems to be running pretty smooth at this calibration, but isn't the idea to overclock, if possible? Is this auto feature a fairly conservative program, or is it that overclocking is simply not in the cards for my particular phone?

Upvote 0
I went ahead and spent the buck, and ran the automatic feature. Below is what it kicked out for me.

300mhz - 14 VSEL
600mhz - 29 VSEL
800mhz - 38 VSEL
1000mhz - 48 VSEL

It seems to be running pretty smooth at this calibration, but isn't the idea to overclock, if possible? Is this auto feature a fairly conservative program, or is it that overclocking is simply not in the cards for my particular phone?

Heheh. All you gotta do is change those frequencies to what you want in the CPU configuration menu and hit set to CPU. That will overclock you.

EDIT: Though your confusion gives me an idea. I'll work on adding in a top-end finder, so that you can semi-automatically determine your phone's top speed. I say semi-automatically, because often the high frequencies will turtle but not crash which may need to be determined based on a test for user input (i.e. delay time --> push [this] button if your phone seems stable). I may consider doing something similar to this for finding the BMV as well. Though I wanted to make it as quick and easy as possible, it sounds like some phones are auto-finding unstable BMV's. When I finally have time to work on it, however, that will be my first priority for improvement.

*** Until then, just increase the BMV or the stability buffer and please report your findings.

Thanks much!

Reactions: SoundQcar
Upvote 0
bmf 300
bmv 17
sb 13
400 - 25
700 - 39
900 - 49
1150 - 62

Those look very reasonable to me, so I would recommend setting them from within QuickClock so that there is less confusion with the unit conversion. I will add the profile output feature as soon as I finally get some free time so that you will have an easy time setting things up in jrummy's app if you want to do that. For now just keep in mind that you can set those to the CPU from within QuickClock. If that doesn't work, just try increasing the stability buffer a little. :)

Reactions: BuTbKa
Upvote 0
400mhz - 22 vsel
700mhz - 32 vsel
1000mhz - 50 vsel
1200mhz - 66 vsel

Had to bump up my 1200mhz vsel from 62 (app recommended) to 66. Just wouldn't run with anything less than that. I will say though... getting better linpack scores now. So what should happen with battery life now is better idle time because I have a lot less volts going during idle, but less batter life at peak because I have overclocked to 1.2ghz and running 4 vsel over stock max.

Reactions: POC3442
Upvote 0
400mhz - 22 vsel
700mhz - 32 vsel
1000mhz - 50 vsel
1200mhz - 66 vsel

Had to bump up my 1200mhz vsel from 62 (app recommended) to 66. Just wouldn't run with anything less than that. I will say though... getting better linpack scores now. So what should happen with battery life now is better idle time because I have a lot less volts going during idle, but less batter life at peak because I have overclocked to 1.2ghz and running 4 vsel over stock max.

Sounds good. What is your BMV?

Upvote 0
Heheh. All you gotta do is change those frequencies to what you want in the CPU configuration menu and hit set to CPU. That will overclock you.

EDIT: Though your confusion gives me an idea. I'll work on adding in a top-end finder, so that you can semi-automatically determine your phone's top speed. I say semi-automatically, because often the high frequencies will turtle but not crash which may need to be determined based on a test for user input (i.e. delay time --> push [this] button if your phone seems stable). I may consider doing something similar to this for finding the BMV as well. Though I wanted to make it as quick and easy as possible, it sounds like some phones are auto-finding unstable BMV's. When I finally have time to work on it, however, that will be my first priority for improvement.

*** Until then, just increase the BMV or the stability buffer and please report your findings.

Thanks much!

That is a great idea, and would be much appreciated. In my case, the phone has never seemed smoother on the auto-detect settings, although as I hinted, I think some overall speed has been left on the table.....but would that come at the expense of a smooth and lag-free experience?

I only have JRummy to compare with, as I previously ran the garden-variety program there at SV @ 1250mhz. That ran damn fast, but also ran hot at times, especially noticeable when watching an HQ video. With your settings, temps have never even exceeded 100f.

I'll play around with it like you suggested, and report back what I find.

Thanks again for a great app!

Upvote 0
That is a great idea, and would be much appreciated. In my case, the phone has never seemed smoother on the auto-detect settings, although as I hinted, I think some overall speed has been left on the table.....but would that come at the expense of a smooth and lag-free experience?

I only have JRummy to compare with, as I previously ran the garden-variety program there at SV @ 1250mhz. That ran damn fast, but also ran hot at times, especially noticeable when watching an HQ video. With your settings, temps have never even exceeded 100f.

I'll play around with it like you suggested, and report back what I find.

Thanks again for a great app!

My pleasure! Thanks for using it!

Really glad you like the idea of a top speed finder. You'd still be as stable as ever with it, but you would generate more heat merely due to the fact that more speed -> more heat. If you ever are concerned about heat, though, just make a CPU profile that caps the speed at a low scaling point when the temperature goes above about 42 degrees Celsius. That should keep you safe.

Upvote 0
My pleasure! Thanks for using it!

Really glad you like the idea of a top speed finder. You'd still be as stable as ever with it, but you would generate more heat merely due to the fact that more speed -> more heat. If you ever are concerned about heat, though, just make a CPU profile that caps the speed at a low scaling point when the temperature goes above about 42 degrees Celsius. That should keep you safe.

I kinda like where you're coming from with this app. Really appreciate you showing Tiago the respect he deserves!

Heads up...

Issue 80 - milestone-overclock - Invalid default VSEL displayed on devices supporting SmartReflex 1.5 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Can you catch it?

Upvote 0
I kinda like where you're coming from with this app. Really appreciate you showing Tiago the respect he deserves!

Heads up...

Issue 80 - milestone-overclock - Invalid default VSEL displayed on devices supporting SmartReflex 1.5 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Can you catch it?

Thank ya, FreeWELL. :) Tiago and you both deserve full credit & then some for the work you all put in.

Thanks much for the heads up on that! I don't think it impacts QuickClock currently, though, because there's never a situation where it's just reading in the current VSEL. That's soon to change, however, when I add in more CPU monitoring. Do you know if Tiago fixed this in version 1.4.6.1? ... I do have him on gChat, so I should probably just ask him haha.
EDIT: ... and I just did that. :p It's not fixed in 1.4.6.1, but no biggie.

To the users of QCA, no need to worry about this issue. Just keep on doin' what ya do.

Upvote 0
Thank ya, FreeWELL. :) Tiago and you both deserve full credit & then some for the work you all put in.

Thanks much for the heads up on that! I don't think it impacts QuickClock currently, though, because there's never a situation where it's just reading in the current VSEL. That's soon to change, however, when I add in more CPU monitoring. Do you know if Tiago fixed this in version 1.4.6.1? ... I do have him on gChat, so I should probably just ask him haha.

He's got a beta here...

Issue 84 - milestone-overclock - The milestone overclock does not work with the droid 2 global - Project Hosting on Google Code

What might be of help to you is...

Code:
# dmesg | grep Nvalue
<6>[    5.773132] SR1 : Fused Nvalues for 4 OPP
<6>[    5.773254] VDD1 - OPP4 -  1G Nvalue = 0xAA978A
<6>[    5.773437] VDD1 - OPP3 - 800 Nvalue = 0xAAC0A9
<6>[    5.773529] VDD1 - OPP2 - 600 Nvalue = 0x9A87ED
<6>[    5.773651] VDD1 - OPP1 - 300 Nvalue = 0x99E1C6
<6>[    5.774017] SR2 : Fused Nvalues for 2 OPP
<6>[    5.774139] VDD2 - OPP2 - 200 Nvalue = 0x9A8DF5
<6>[    5.774322] VDD2 - OPP1 - 100 Nvalue = 0x8989F0

The binary value of VDD1_OPP4, I believe is something you're looking for.... After a fresh reboot, try "dmesg | grep Nvalue" on your phone...

Upvote 0
He's got a beta here...

Issue 84 - milestone-overclock - The milestone overclock does not work with the droid 2 global - Project Hosting on Google Code

What might be of help to you is...

Code:
# dmesg | grep Nvalue
<6>[    5.773132] SR1 : Fused Nvalues for 4 OPP
<6>[    5.773254] VDD1 - OPP4 -  1G Nvalue = 0xAA978A
<6>[    5.773437] VDD1 - OPP3 - 800 Nvalue = 0xAAC0A9
<6>[    5.773529] VDD1 - OPP2 - 600 Nvalue = 0x9A87ED
<6>[    5.773651] VDD1 - OPP1 - 300 Nvalue = 0x99E1C6
<6>[    5.774017] SR2 : Fused Nvalues for 2 OPP
<6>[    5.774139] VDD2 - OPP2 - 200 Nvalue = 0x9A8DF5
<6>[    5.774322] VDD2 - OPP1 - 100 Nvalue = 0x8989F0
The binary value of VDD1_OPP4, I believe is something you're looking for.... After a fresh reboot, try "dmesg | grep Nvalue" on your phone...

Well this would just obtain the current top speed, right? If that's the case, then that's already taken care of... maybe I'm missing something though? I've been at work for 12 hours, so my mind's a bit fuzzy.

Upvote 0
Well this would just obtain the current top speed, right? If that's the case, then that's already taken care of... maybe I'm missing something though? I've been at work for 12 hours, so my mind's a bit fuzzy.

These are efused nvalues... Values burnt into the silicon by TI...

However...

As I just ran this command on my wife's phone, found out it doesn't help you... Thought it equated to a clock speed, because the number looks very close to my max stable speed, but my wife's value is lower, yet her sr_nval is higher, and her phone runs easily at 1230@62, while mine only runs 1100@62. Bad info, my apologies...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones