• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Recommendations Needed

bulsworth

Lurker
Nov 14, 2010
I just got my droid 2 less than a month ago. I have been using appbrain to find some good apps but want to get some recommendations from you guys. I prefer free but if worth it willing to pay.

1. Browser - I am always having issues with the stock browser. don't really need anything fancy just something that is quick and works well.

2. Battery - My battery seems to be at like 20-30% by the end of the day. I am not a big user. I have tweetdeck and gtalk active during the day. I have been texting alot but barely making any calls. I use the browser somewhat. I did all the settings mentioned to help but still would love to see what else can be done.

3. I am looking for an app where i can schedule control of the volume of my phone. While I am at work I want it on vibrate for all sounds. Then in the evenings or weekends it would be normal volume. And overnight it would be silent.

4. Gas Price Locator - Just want something that is accurate for when it is needed.

Plus any other apps that you guys would recommend. I don't do anything fancy with the phone but I would like to take advantage of it.

Ringer mode toggler is working pretty cool for me... you need to know how to set it as a widget...

Scanner Radio is pretty cool to listen to police in your area...

Teamviewer is pretty sweet... i actually went into detail in the post just below this one :)

Handcent for texting

Easy Reminder if you like sound notifications if you miss a call or text..

theres a few :)

Upvote 0
Just some thoughts--

I just got my droid 2 less than a month ago. I have been using appbrain to find some good apps but want to get some recommendations from you guys. I prefer free but if worth it willing to pay.

1. Browser - I am always having issues with the stock browser. don't really need anything fancy just something that is quick and works well.

I am not sue what is not working- but Dolphin HD and Skyfire are both good browsers.

2. Battery - My battery seems to be at like 20-30% by the end of the day. I am not a big user. I have tweetdeck and gtalk active during the day. I have been texting alot but barely making any calls. I use the browser somewhat. I did all the settings mentioned to help but still would love to see what else can be done.

Set tweetdeck to check a bit less often. Things like gtalk that are always polling are by their nature battery hogs. If you stick to text rather than an IM client your battery life will improve. I think you can set gtalk to forward messages to SMS from the web interface- I know you can in AIM. Read tharticle here for more info Gtalk SMS -- Get Mobile IMs with Gtalk SMS

3. I am looking for an app where i can schedule control of the volume of my phone. While I am at work I want it on vibrate for all sounds. Then in the evenings or weekends it would be normal volume. And overnight it would be silent.

Locale will do this but it is $10. Silent time lite is free and should meet your needs.

4. Gas Price Locator - Just want something that is accurate for when it is needed.

Gas buddy gets the best reviews for this need.

Plus any other apps that you guys would recommend. I don't do anything fancy with the phone but I would like to take advantage of it.

Handcent is a nice SMS alternative that is more customizable then the stock SMS app.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Tasker can do both of these. You can set it to turn off things you don't need unless you want to use them (Wifi, GPS, etc). I also use it similar to Juice Defender to control my mobile data connection, which saves my battery and my data plan.

Tasker also changes my volumes at night and restores them in the morning.

I have only bothered to buy 2 paid apps. Tasker is the one I would most recoomend and it is well worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones