App Request - Marine Traffic - Someone familiar with the maps interface

Last Updated:

1. Groty

Groty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Marine Traffic website was set up by a Greek University. The AIS data is collected by volunteers, automatically, from all over the world and fed to their website realtime. If you live in a port city, or have ever been to the beach and wondered what that ship was passing by, you'd understand how great it would be to have an Android App displaying this.

The website does have a "mobile" web interface, which when working, is horrendous to navigate. It's extremely frustrating to attempt to use it. Google Maps via a mobile web browser just doesn't work well. I'm sure if such an app were built, it would find not only a huge U.S. following, but International as well.

Take a look developers and see if you're interested. I wish I could build it myself, but I'm coming from a web application development background and the learning curve is significant.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

That's the link and a full explanation of how it works can be found on the website as well.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. leeeh1000

leeeh1000 New Member

Download layar and then install vesseltracker...

3. Groty

Groty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ugh, they want a subscription for realtime. Kinda tough to see traffic coming and going with a forced delay, even with layar installed.

And it's map is still web based rather than Android Map based.

4. pinkfroot

pinkfroot New Member

Hi all,

Great news! Yesterday we released our popular iPhone app "Ship Finder" for Android devices!

Ship Finder plots AIS tracks around the world onto a Google map native to the device. Lots of people have been asking for this device and we have worked very hard to bring it to this emerging platform!

Available now so go check it out.

Ship Finder - Android app on AppBrain