• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Request: Turn Android Phone Into Wi-Fi HotSpot

OK, here's another reason for an app like this. There are remote control Android apps out there, but there's none nearly as good as the commercial Salling Clicker (Salling Software - Home). The author of Clicker has declined to support Android for now, because the Bluetooth support is so poor. Clicker also supports Wifi, but that seems inadequate if you want to, for example use it to control a Powerpoint in a "foreign" environment while making presentations on the road. E.g., there might not be a Wifi hotspot handy, much less one that your hosts would permit you to use.

Now, suppose that you could easily establish a Wifi interface between your laptop and your phone, using the software requested by this thread. You could do this on the road, and it wouldn't even require any use of your data plan, so you'd never be accessing the Internet per se.

Yes, I know that Windows 7 supports this functionality (letting you turn your PC into a Wifi hotspot), but that's not universal enough for the Salling Clicker author to release a Wifi-only Android version of his application.

I apologize if my explanation is unclear. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

I don't think that Pdanet will do what I want, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Upvote 0
Using my Nexus with the Froyo 2.2 update, my phone has the option to become a wireless hotspot.

To whoever said "who would use their phone as a modem to play counterstrike"...

I've been using my phone to hotspot for my PS3 and I've been playing Modern Warefare online. Not a SINGLE dropped game or lag. I'm playing just as smooth, if not better, using my phone as a hotspot as appose to my home router.

(T-Mobile, in the Orlando Florida area, has incredible 3G speeds by the way)

Upvote 0
I get very good 3G net coverage, I rarely go without it. I live in Arizona btw.

I love Tmoble. Tell me where else can you get this package for the price that i have
3 cell lines
500 minutes
unlimited night and weekend
Unlimited text/pix on all 3 lines
unlimited web to the line with G1

$85 a month.
2 lines
1500 minutes
unlimited data
unlimited text
unlimited mobile to ANY mobile carrier
nights start @7 to 8 am free
4g network - though not avail my area yet, 3g is
$130 (includes the STUPID 10$ premium data plan)
granted, it costs more, but I get 3 times the anytime minutes divided between 2 phones, and data on both. so i like it.
why is this guy trying to berate your idea anyway? seems odd to me...
I say it's a great idea. if you were at my house with the hotspot, wouldn't take the kids around here more than 5 mins to max it out! theres ALWAYS a reason to have that capabillity.

Upvote 0
I am in the Field Service industry working at many Medical Imaging sites throughout Southern California, where no internet is available (do to restrictions) and this App would allow me to connect my company databases on my work laptop to the internet on my phone without having to go home or to free WiFi location (away from where I am working). It is one of the main reasons I got Android (Froyo Locked/Sprint - contemplating rooting).

Currently I have a Sprint Hotspot App, but it does not work - error code 67. My research says it is complicated to make it work but available and can work (might cost 29.99 a month). I am in the middle of trying to figure it out and saw that some people on here didn't understand why anyone would want this App. Well there's one reason for a need, but I am not willing to pay 30 a month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones