App Restore after new ROM

Last Updated:

1. hikersc

hikersc Active Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted my Droid about a month ago but have been running the stock ROM (FRG22D) with a custom (Shayher) kernel. All is working well but I would like to try a custom ROM but am concerned about the data/cache wiping requirements. I have Titanium Backup and have reviewed information on restoration of apps following a ROM flash on their website.

My question is does it restore the app icons to all of there previous positions on the desktop? What about other system data and settings that were backed up with TiBu?

I will create a Nandroid backup to bail me out if this does not work out but was interested in what to expect after the flash in terms of getting things back as before.

Advertisement
  2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

if you use Launcher Pro, you can backup your home screen settings there. the only thing you will have to put back on your screen is your widgets. TiBu will back up all other system and app data.

3. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

after the first boot up give it time...most if not all apps will be restored through the market place. Do not log in with goggle if you want to restore using Titanium Backup

4. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

If you choose to go the TiBU route, when you get the Touch to Begin droid screen, DO NOT TOUCH THE DROID. Begin in the upper left hand corner of the black area where the droid image is and touch each corner sequentially going clockwise. This will skip the activation process and allow you to use TiBU to restore your apps. I would suggest doing a *228 option 1 and then option 2 after restoring. I have been told to use *22899 and that will do both the activation and the PRL update, but every time I have tried it, it has failed (and I have tried it on several occasions.) I guess its fair to mention that I have had, on occasion, the individual *228 options fail also, but I have never gotten *22899 to work.

Anyway, good luck.

BigRedGonzo

5. hikersc

hikersc Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for everyone's help. As it turned out, it was much more simple than I expected. For one, I did not have to reactivate my phone. I am not sure why as I wiped the system data using ClockWorkmod. In any case, it came up but when I pressed (or "mashed" as they say in the South) the little green dude it took me into a mostly blank desktop. From there, I downloaded TiBu from the market (the market needed my Gmail address) and then simply restored (using TiBu) all my apps and system data. This got all my apps back but I still had to place them and my previous widgets back on the 5 desktop screens. To remember what went where, I had created a series of screen captures using Drocap2 to assist me in remembering where all the icons were.

As a side note, I loaded the [ROM ]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed Version 11 !! Froyo 2.2.1 FRG83D . It is exactly what I wanted. Fast with good battery life and not too far from the stock ROM. Maybe it was close enough to my stock FRG22D such that reactivation was not required. In any case, it seems to running very stable and smooth.

Thanks again for everyone's help.