App size issue (WITH SCREENSHOTS!)Support

Last Updated:

1. wallyy

wallyy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone.

First, I need some clarification on app sizes. I'm really pissed off cause my phone barely has any internal memory left (19 mb). When I go into "Manage Applications" from the Settings, this is what I see:

[​IMG]

Lets take Facebook. The applications manager says Facebook is 7.18 mb, when I tap on it, this is what it shows me:

[​IMG]

A couple of questions come up here; what is this 'data' that's taking up 4.22 mb, and what happens if I tap "Uninstall updates"? Anyways, so the manager says the application is 2.95 mb in size, however, when I go to the Market, this is what I see:

[​IMG]

Yup, apparently it's only supposed to be 1.97 mb. Comparing this to the 'application' size of 2.95 mb in the applications manager is almost a 1 mb difference. Big deal, right? Well, this applies to almost all big apps I have installed on my phone, the sizes (at least the 'application' size) never match to what the market says, and they're usually bigger on my phone. My question is, what's the reason for this? Why is it not accurate? Why is it always bigger in size on my phone?

Now I'm gonna go back to the application manager list:

[​IMG]

A month or so ago, Sprint Navigator was the same size as it shows right now on the list, however, "Package Installer" (4th down on the list) was never there, until the app prompted me to update. When I did that, it made me download this Package Installer, that now adds 5.52 mb to the already huge 8 mb app. Why?????? When I tap on it, this is what it shows:

[​IMG]

Why don't I have the option to uninstall? What happens if I 'clear data'?

Please help an Androider in need of more internal space, and thank you for reading.

Advertisement
  2. t_wilson

t_wilson Well-Known Member

It seems that the facebook app you have installed is 1.4.4 while the one shown on the market is 1.3.2. That could explain the difference is size. I have never used the facebook app, but I would imagine that the "data" has to do with your friends' profiles and if you delete it, it would be re-downloaded once the app syncs. Also, since you have Google maps, just uninstall sprint nav.

3. wallyy

I actually prefer Sprint Navigation. It's way more accurate, as Google Maps/Navigator never gets me to the location but about 1/2 a mile around it. I guess I can uninstall Maps.

4. t_wilson

t_wilson Well-Known Member

Your first six apps are taking up 37MB. You might want to consider using A2SD, and move some of those apps to your SD card. It's either that, or go on an uninstall spree.

5. wallyy

A2SD is only for rooted phones right? I don't know if I want to go into that right now.

6. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

So if your not rooted how did you take those screen shots?? We assumed you were rooted

7. wallyy

8. DonB

9. wallyy

What? That's exactly how I did it.

10. DonB

I know as you mentioned that, but when I asked I was just curious how you had done, wanted to know if there was another way, that is it, LOL

11. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I heard the Facebook app was using a lot of internal memory after a recent update. I do not recall why it is using up so much internal memory. It might have had something to do with the number of Facebook friends you are syncing to your Sprint HTC Hero. The more friends you have the more space it uses up.

You could delete the cache in some of the larger apps on your list in the Application Manager section. I do not have a space problem right now, but at one point I was down to about 99 MB and when I went through and deleted the cache of a few larger apps, it went back up to 121 MB.

12. wallyy

I clear cache very, very often. As you saw in the shots I posted, that's what all my bigger apps look like, no cache, only 'data'.

13. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see what you mean. I am not sure how to help you then.

I have not experienced issues with apps growing inordinately huge in size. I wish you the best of luck in finding an answer.