App sizes - much greater in Manage Applications than should be

Last Updated:

1. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've got a strange problem here with the size of applications.

Basically when I go into the standard settings->manage applications tool the sizes it's reporting are far greater than the app says it is.

For example I downloaded Snesoid, which in the market says it's ~860kb. Once installed the app manager is saying it's 2.93mb! Obviously I understand that could be due to the difference in the apk file and the installed app, but Uninstaller gives the ~860kb reading.

Worse still is that I'd uninstalled and then re-installed Snesoid to see if I'd get a size decrease, but instead my overall free space on the phone went down!

It's becoming a bit of a problem now, as i'm right around the 15mb left limit, so I keep getting the 'low memory' warnings all the time.

It's a real pain as it seems if I update any apps then space keeps going down.

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but i thought the apk files were like installer zip files, so when expanded/installed, the size obviously goes up,

also doesnt the app manager also include files created and used by the app and also the cached files used by that app in its figure? for example if you look at dolphin browser, it allows you to clear the cache and when you do the overall figure goes down.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

When you go into snesoid by Manage apps (beyond the list), it should list the total size, how much of that is the app and how much of it is the data.

Some apps cache data. If you go into manage apps then Menu>Sort by size, click on the biggest one. You may be able to clear some of the cache...saving space.

I check this from time to time.