App Storage on SD Coming To Android Soon

Last Updated:

1. inspiron41

inspiron41 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

"App Storage on SD Coming To Android Soon
    by Kevin Krause on April 30th, 2010
    The Google Code Android Issues page just updated the status of Issue 1151 to “Future Release.” What is Issue 1151 you ask? Well that would have a little something to do with native support for app installation to SD card media. Up until now to get this functionality one would need to root their phone and use Apps2SD.

Further corroborating that we should be seeing this feature in an upcoming Android release is a comment on the issue from a Google Engineer:

Apologies, but I’m not permitted to disclose scheduling information – suffice to say
    it’s coming soon :)
    Sorry for being vague, and thank you for your continued patience – I sincerely
    appreciate it.

A quick scan also reveals this is no longer an “open” issue — having been closed just today — meaning it will most likely be ready to launch in the upcoming Froyo release of Android. We are expecting hear a whole lot of info regarding Android 2.2 (Froyo) at the upcoming Google I/O conference on May 19th, which will almost definitely layout the plans for the newest version of Android."

App Storage on SD Coming To Android Soon | Android Phone Fans

i can literally pee in my pants if this came out in 2.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

:eek::eek:

Well, I can't be too shocked, if this game to stock release of Android, then I would be in heaven too... just not peeing myself though... :p:p

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

this owuld be the sheez, if it came soon

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Read that on Phandroid. Quite excited when froyo is released to us Nexus users before the other android users :) And knowing we will have out to ourselves for a couple of months before they do... priceless!

5. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Are you sure that we will be getting it first and it will be exclusive for months?

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I have no doubt that the Nexus will be the first phone to get the update. Its our privileged for buying a phone directly from Google.

As to us having 2.2 exclusively ours for a couple of months... just look at the trend of how quickly the rollout for 2.1 has been.. The fact that over 1/2 of the android phones are currently running 1.6 or lower does give a strong indication of something right? It took the Moto Droid over 2 months before it got 2.1 and it wasn't bogged down with a custom UI like Sense.

You must have read how frustrated users were... are with HTC. Look at the HTC Droid Eris with the delays they had before they got 2.1 (I assume they have it by now). In Canada HTC announced that the Dream (G1) will never get an update so Dreams' users are stuck with 1.5. The HTC Magic got an update to 1.6 but Magic users even question whether they'd see 2.1 considering they had to jump through fire for that update. All of the HTC phones that just came into the market all have Sense. Also don't forget to take into consideration that all carriers have left their marks on any android phones they lay their hands on.

Let's say for argument sake that Google intends to resolve the fragmentation issue with 2.2. Well for that to happen all of the android phones need to run 2.2 first. So yes from looking at the tend of the Android OS update, I'd say we'll have Froyo exclusively to ourselves for a couple of months.

On another note, Froyo is getting tastier with each passing day it seems. I'm so excited to taste it in less then a month if the rumor is true :)

Signing off,
    -Roze-

P.S. Man this post is bloody long...

7. Thevegetable

Thevegetable New Member

SD-based application running is a complex issue. Micro SDHC Class 2 is a slow memory standard. Compared to the internal hard drive of the iPhone, Micro SDHC is like comparing USB1.0 to USB2.0 (it's very slow). This means several things.

Native support of microSDHC application storage means the phone must meet one of 2 requirements: a fast enough SDHC card (Class 6 or above, I'd assume) for real-time application execution, OR, have enough system RAM to load the entire application into active memory.

The latter option reduces battery life and requires a decent chunk of the system's memory, as well as increases app load time, the former increases the cost to the end user, and could lead to less than ideal app performance.

Either way, the solution is imperfect. In this regard, iPhone has a hardware advantage. If Class 10 microSDHC became the standard tomorrow, it wouldn't be such an issue. Given that this won't happen because of its prohibitive cost ($100 for a 16GB Class 10 card, which are reviewed poorly for speed), and the fact that mobile apps grow continuously larger, Google is being forced to implement SD app storage as a stopgap for next-gen removable flash memory solutions.

8. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Allright, nice to see this confirmed!!
    And google I/O is closing in.. I really hope they release froyo then, can hardly wait! I'd be so disappointed if they didn't.
    Froooyo, frooooyo, frooooyo, FROYOOOOO! :D