• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App suggestions, AV question, +more.

Gargus

Aug 14, 2012
I am picking up a galaxy s3 soon and I had a couple questions I wanted to ask.

1) Aside from the standard apps that come as part of android does anyone have some reccomendations for some "must have" apps?

2) And do you really need an antivirus for a phone? I mean all Ill be doing is adding mp3s, maybe video files off my pc, surfing the net a little bit and so on. I just saw that AVG made an antivirus for android and wondering if I needed one. Not sure about avg for android but Ive used their free pc version for years without incident and I like it a lot.

3) Galaxy s3 runs on ice creme sandwhich if I read correctly. If so will I be able to to upgrade to jellybean? And if I do upgrade will I have to set my phone up allover again, reinstall apps, change settings and such? Just asking because if I can and it resets everything I wont go to much trouble tweaking everything to my liking. And if I can will current apps run fine on jellybean?

Thank you.

1. The staff and editor picks, as well as the Top Apps section, are good places to look. Tough to recommend anything as of yet since everyone does different things with their phones. I would suggest a battery saver app like Battery Defender, though. Will automatically shut off data when not in use, allowing your battery to last longer.

2. I haven't really heard of any viruses on Android phones, though I might be wrong. Never ran into one myself. I don't use one because those things just eat up RAM. But since you're looking at a G S3, you don't really have to worry too much about that.

3. Yes, it is definitely upgradeable, and it looks as if Samsung themselves will release their own version very soon (end of the month?). Otherwise, I'm sure there's plenty of ROMs out there (though it sounds as if you're new to Android, so I advise rooting and flashing for now).

Not sure if you'll have to reformat everything when loading the new ROM, or just wipe cache and dalvik. Varies by phone, and I'm not as familiar with the Galaxy.

Upvote 0
1. Must have apps most depends on what you want to do. For example, Sugarsync is a must have app for me, but nor for some of my friends. However yes, the top picks are a good place to start.

2. Virus for Android does not exist. Malware does however, but they won't do anything unless you install them. It could help as a warning. Honestly the only part of AVs that I find useful is the Airpush detector feature. :D Gets rid of the apps with the annoying ads that appear on the notification bar.

3. Its upgradeable and no you won't lose anything if you update via official way (using Samsung Kies program but not sure about OTA updates). Samsung Kies applies UDP, or "User Data Protection", which keeps all your settings intact after upgrading to the new Android version.

Upvote 0
Was also curious. Is jellybean drastically different than ice creme sandwhich? I mean drastically as in the interface and such where Ill have to re-learn? Or is the update mostly behind the scenes stuff?

3. Its upgradeable and no you won't lose anything if you update via official way (using Samsung Kies program but not sure about OTA updates). Samsung Kies applies UDP, or "User Data Protection", which keeps all your settings intact after upgrading to the new Android version.

I read it comes out on the 29th. Will I have to do anything to upgrade or is it like a automatic thing? Im using verizon if that makes any difference.

Upvote 0
If you're getting it official from Samsung, there should be no major change in interface. Samsung would be keeping their official TouchWiz UI on top of JB anyway. Mind you that the SIII interface (or any Samsung and HTC interface for that matter) is very different from stock Android.

Hmmm. So how do I get it official from samsung? I want to go that route Id imagine since the galaxy I played with I liked the interface and setup so Id like to stay with the same style.

Thanks for the responses by the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones