• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[App] [Support] Titanium Backup

Thanks for the handy guide. Bookmarked!
Just have a question. Is there any way to restore other things such as your home screen setup, ringtone/notification tones and settings, and other stuff like that? The thing I hate the most after a full wipe is redoing my home screens and redoing all my tweaked system settings etc etc.

There might be some apps that help with that on the Play Store, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of the time a custom launcher will have backup settings, and those backups stay on your SD so they should be there even if you factory reset from recovery. Check with your specific phones user guide though just to make certain.

Is it not good to format the sdcard portion? I have a gnex so it doesn't really have one. Can I just copy back the backups? Or not

If you format the sd card, that wipes everything from it (not to be confused with wiping data/factory resetting in recovery). Most people use DropBox (over WiFi) or something similar to make extra backups on their PC or laptop hard drive. If that's the case, or however you moved your backups, yes you should be able to move them back to the SD.

I hope I understood your question, and that I was able to help!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the handy guide. Bookmarked!
Just have a question. Is there any way to restore other things such as your home screen setup, ringtone/notification tones and settings, and other stuff like that? The thing I hate the most after a full wipe is redoing my home screens and redoing all my tweaked system settings etc etc.

There might be some apps that help with that on the Play Store, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of the time a custom launcher will have backup settings, and those backups stay on your SD so they should be there even if you factory reset from recovery. Check with your specific phones user guide though just to make certain.

Edit: You may have to re-add widgets manually.

Is it not good to format the sdcard portion? I have a gnex so it doesn't really have one. Can I just copy back the backups? Or not

If you format the sd card, that wipes everything from it (not to be confused with wiping data/factory resetting in recovery). Most people use DropBox (over WiFi) or something similar to make extra backups on their PC or laptop hard drive. If that's the case, or however you moved your backups, yes you should be able to move them back to the SD.

Upvote 0

Edit: You may have to re-add widgets manually.

So is the sdcard part of the titaniumbackup I meant? If I restore from TB, will sdcard data be in it?

Upvote 0
Thanks a ton for this tutorial! It was just what I was looking for, and helped convince me to invest in TiBo Pro. I'm trying to stay up to date with DHD JB releases, so I'm having to flash a new ROM every couple of days or so.

I did run into issues restoring TiBo Pro, though. When I started TiBo after flashing, it came up as a free version. I tried restoring TiBo Pro from within TiBo, but the key was never detected. To fix it, I had to remove TiBo Pro, then sign in to Google and re-download it from the market. Only then did TiBo detect the key and full functionality was restored.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Well written tutorial for a great backup app. I have been using TiBak Pro for about a year now. I didn't know that a flashable TiBu file--learn something new everyday! The flashable file comes in handy when restoring apps after installing a new ROM. Keep up the great work!

Thanks misterteche for the great feedback and complements to the great work done by Petrah!

Cheers and welcome to the AndroidForums! :)

Reactions: Petrah
Upvote 0
What's the difference between a signed and unsigned .zip for restoring Titanium Backup?

Is this ICS specific? It seems to me that Titanium runs a little different on GB. Not sure if it's changed but you used to have to go to Backup/Restore and tap menu> Batch instead of tapping the check mark.

I don't see that it would matter really, since you're not sharing the zip file. IMHO it just makes it easier since the step is already there when you're creating the zip file.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I've been using App2Zip to make flashable app packages, I think it works great in addition to Titanium Backup. It shows you a list of your installed apps and you check which ones you want to include in your flashable zip. It includes data in it as well.

Sounds like it would be a great app, but the warning at the top of the description makes me hesitant to try it. As soon as the app is more stable and has been tested/updated to be out of the testing phase, I'll jump at adding it as an option in my guide.

Thanks for the tip, MacFett! I'll keep an eye on it. ;)

Upvote 0
Well written tutorial for a great backup app. I have been using TiBak Pro for about a year now. I didn't know that a flashable TiBu file--learn something new everyday! The flashable file comes in handy when restoring apps after installing a new ROM. Keep up the great work!

I have been using TiBu since the OG Droid days and found out about three months ago that this was possible.

Great Guide!! I picked up a few more tips from this like:
1) Backup new user apps & newer versions
2) Tap on Redo backups for modified data

I had never messed with anything other than: Backup all user apps. Very helpful!!

I've been using App2Zip to make flashable app packages, I think it works great in addition to Titanium Backup. It shows you a list of your installed apps and you check which ones you want to include in your flashable zip. It includes data in it as well.

Can you tell me if you have encountered any "problem apps" that do not play well with this application?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones