app that roots, install roms, wifi tether for you

Last Updated:

1. pilotcharles747

pilotcharles747 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

way cool! I'm already running Bugless Beast, but that's awesome.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I've gotta say, that's pretty cool. I'm using Bugless Beast as well but those Sholes guys are at the top of the game.

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

From it's description, it appears to be limited to installing ONLY Sholes' ROMs. Better than nothing. But I'm so glad I can do it old skool. ;)

5. pilotcharles747

True it is sholes and as you can see they will continue to update, but want you get everything installed for you i believe you should be able flash other roms. they just doing all the commands to get to that point. its a good app, if you already rooted then you good, but for those who havent its a good thing.

6. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think this is a good thing.

At first, before I rooted, I wanted an app like this. I wanted "one touch" root access, etc.

However, since there wasn't much like it out at the time I have had to do it all myself...with some help from kind forum members, of course!

But now that I have and I know what I'm doing, I'm not afraid to play around and can fix issues when they arise. To be honest, there are opportunities for things to get screwed up when loading ROMS. And it's not you, sometimes it's the developer. But without screwing around, I'd have completely freaked out when my phone went into boot loop when loading a new ROM. Because I had learned to do things the right way, I had a nandroid backup and knew how to re-boot and restore from the nandroid backup.

Same with moving and pushing files, etc.

These types of tools have their use in making operations faster. But if you haven't rooted, I suggest NOT using them first. Just my $0.02

7. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Might be interested in this, if I could flash other roms (like BB). Anybody know if that's possible? Don't know why it wouldn't be.

8. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

anyone test it yet? sounds pretty interesting, I have been thinking of rooting and putting 2.1 on, but not sure yet

9. Im looking for something to help me root, install 2.1 and bugless beauty... any one have suggestions.. or can guide me in the right direction... im new to this.. sorry

10. pilotcharles747

i along with a bunch of people tested the app and the developer is on the forum answering questions. ITS A GOOD app dont take my word for it check the forum

App that roots/OCs/multi-touches and tethers for $5 - Page 29 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

features wifi tethering, multi touch on default web browser, 5 screens, nicer wall paper, if flash and provides a back up for you. Again do not let me or anyone else decide for you check the forum, if you like install, if not that is good as well. I know i was on the fence about to jump off the root idea and that just help me to climb on to the root side.

11. jnngill

jnngill Well-Known Member

I donated the $5.00 right away. This is the kind of hard work that needed to be rewarded.

12. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

I just paid for it. Installed without any problems. Took about 30 minutes since it had to download the roms. Works really well!! Best $5 I've spent all year :)

13. pilotcharles747

Glad to here it is working for you all, spread the word.

im quoting this from droidforum.net because this is the common question:
    Originally Posted by pilotcharles747 [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by Miami1683 [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by Camel [​IMG]

Just run the updater again; it'll send you through the install process again.

ok ill try now

Originally Posted by Miami1683 [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by Camel [​IMG]

Yes, just uncheck the box to remove car home in the installer. I personally hate the thing; every time I put my phone in the car dock, a useless window pops up over what I'm doing.

I have to tell you thanks for the support and coming here. I think you'll find alot of people here really like this app and option. Great Job!

my bad bro i posted the wrong one

click on the sholesmod updater again install tar and follow the above instructions

14. pilotcharles747

the app allows for you to remove factory installed apps, well some people actually used car home, amazon, facebook, and the other apps. so if you want to reinsatll it follow thos instructions. I am on droidforums.net if you have any more questions. I will try to check this thread again for questions.

15. pilotcharles747

any of you running the sholesmod updater app and you are having a problem with wifi here is the fix:

1) (after you done the steps here: App that roots/OCs/multi-touches and tethers for $5) click on this link from your droid: wireless_tether_2_0-pre3_eclair.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0-pre3 *** FOR SUPPORTED ANDROID 2.x DEVICES ONLY *** >>> EXPERIMENTAL <<< - Project Hosting on Google Code
    it will download
    2) after its done click and say replace
    3) go into app, click allow
    4) go into set up and change ssid (make it ur name or something)
    5) on your lap top go into control panel and view network
    6) find the ssid you made
    7) because it will consider it unsecured you are going to have to click on it (on ur laptop) and allow. u will know it works when ur phone vibrate
    8) go into diagnostics and repair and repain the setting. u should get a yellow security dialogue box, accept.
    I just did this on 2 diff lap tops one is an old 2006 toshiba satellite running windows xp, and the other is a new toshiba satellite running windows 7. Its the same for both

also posted here: After the $5 App Shole Root Wifi Tether fix?

16. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

For any of you with this app, the new Sholes.info 2.0.0 ROM is out and it looks promising.

550MHz stock but OC'able to 800 and 1000.

Option for JIT runtime

FLAC support

Multitouch browser, gallery, maps

And for those interested but not willing to donate $5 to the Sholes team, it'll be available to the public tomorrow.

17. pilotcharles747

just updated to it and it oc at 1000, has smoke glass rom and other features. it rebooted 3 times, but after it calmed down it was smooth/ Though it oc at 1000 im liking 800, ima keep it there.

18. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

If i install this and want to go back unrooted current version of my phone is it easy to do how is it done?

19. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

This is definitely the way to go for me because I just don't know all of the vocabulary. I've been lurking the alldroid boards, and I just can't get a firm grasp of it. Even when members take time to lay out their step by step instructions in as basic a manor as they can just to help me, I stay stuck on step number 1!

...And 5 bucks is nothing for such capabilities. If there was a "performance model" Droid sitting next to mine in the Verizon store that did what this allows for $100 more, I wouldn't have hesitated grabbing it.

20. bgish3

bgish3 Well-Known Member

i just bought this app last night and it is worth every cent even though they are going to give it away on the sholes website in a couple days but it is extremely easy to use and extremely fast....also on not being able to flash any other roms i think you can you just have to boot into recovery and select the other rom that you put on your sd card

hope that helps you guys

21. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Man, I'm all twisted up inside. I've already boxed my Droid up, ready to send it back (no verizon coverage at my home -- not Droid's fault):eek:, but seeing these apps and modification make me just wanna keep it and get a landline for home use. Wow... :eek:

Can someone kinda lay out what the difference is in this modfication, vs bugless beauty, bugless beast, or other modifications? If you do this new $5 app, can you still do bugless? Would you want to or need to?

22. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Ok, if all this is good and safe ( I am leery of rooting ) why doesn't Google give this to every one?.

23. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

One other question -- when (if) the 2.1 update ever gets here, will I have to switch back to stock to get 2.1? Here too, would I want too?

24. Keebs

Keebs Active Member

1.2.rom is oc'd @ 600

2.0.0.rom @ 550

how easy is it to oc the sholes 2.0.0.rom?

25. pilotcharles747

Buy set cpu then go in to governor and switch it to userspace that fixed it for me.