• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root app that roots, install roms, wifi tether for you

I read about this from somebody else on here and so I took the plunge and bough it from the marketplace. It was pretty straight forward, it downloaded the sholes.info roms and once downloaded it rooted and gave me a list of things it could install and the option to check or uncheck them. I left everything checked and let it do it's business, took roughly 4-5mins and when it was done it was rooted. Pretty simple.

I also read about people overclocking their Droid's so of course I had to try, went to the marketplace yet again and downloaded SetCPU. At first it would only overclock the Droid to 600Mhz. Couldn't figure out why until SholesMod Updater let me know there was a new Rom. After downloading and flashing the rom this update let me use SetCPU to overclock all the way to 1Ghz. So since I had seen the that 800Mhz was the best I overclocked to that and was done and completely happy. The Droid was fast, there was a lot of new features added from the rom. This lasted for 1 day...

UNTIL last night when SetCPU updated their application in the market place. I updated it of course and once I did all hell broke lose, the Droid kept restarting continuously and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop.
I took out the battery and let it sit for a little while, put the battery back in and it was fine for about 3mins and then it started restarting again. So after taking the battery out and restarting it I quickly got to the Marketplace and removed SetCPU and all was fine. So I'm not sure what they updated but it pissed my Droid off. Anybody else have this problem? I emailed the developer to tell them about the problem so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give a walk through to anybody who was unsure on this process.

Upvote 0
ive had no issues with the newest sholes 202 rom, 201 from yesterday had some FC's but this one seems better.

Im not about to OC my droid unless there is some awesome game that comes out that stutters and a decent OC solves it...thats it.

Yeah there is really no need to overclock it. It was a little smoother (I think thats a word lol) with it being overclocked but it works fine without it. BUT since I bought that application (granted only 0.99) it would be sweet if it worked.

Upvote 0
Will i still get over the air updates since i installed this program

Why would you want an ota? It won't have multitouch, it won't be overclocked, etc. I am sure Sholes will update the ROM to 2.1 in a reasonable amount of time.

OTA 2.1 would be almost like going backwards, there is no benefit that I can see except maybe flash (if it's incorporated).

Upvote 0
I've been running the Shole's ROM, OCed to 1 GH for 24 hours with no trouble.
SetCPU is the key.
Here's my setup;
CPU Governor is set to ondemand.
Profiles are as follows:
Charging- 250 MH max, 250 MH min
Sleep/Stanby- 250 MH max, 250 MH min
Power < 40%- 550 MH max, 250 MH min
Failsafe Profile- Battery > 50*C- 550 MH max, 250 MH min
Set on Boot is checked.

Problems have been mentioned downclocking to 125 MH. The system sometimes can't wake fast enough for an app/whatever, and bad things happen. If SetCPU was set a certain way and Set on Boot was checked, that could explain the cyclical rebooting.

With the above settings, I get snappy response @ 1000 MH for anything that I'm running, but while my Droid lounges around, it only sips the juice. I'm at 60% battery power remaining after 13 1/2 hours since she was unplugged this morning. I'm usually at 30 or 40 by now. I would say I've been playing with it a tiny bit more than usual today just checking out the speed & responsiveness of different apps. It is definitely a little zippier. Not 81.82% zippier, mind you, but a definite improvement.
If it weren't for SetCPU's ability to do profile management of the CPU speed, the trade off in power usage I would expect from OCing to 1000 MH probably wouldn't be worth it to me.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Feeling a bit dumb now, but I can't locate the post on how to set up the wifi tether. Trouble for me is that I read 3-4 different forums, and I don't know where I saw it, but there's a really simple step by step, I think.
Running the Sholes' Team ROM, OCed to 1GH. Boy is this great! :)

It comes one the sholes "bitchin bagel" rom, so don't you just click on the wifi logo and it starts the connection? With mine I just click on the icon, it starts the connection and then it shows up on my laptop as Android.tether. Then I just click on it and I'm all good.

I did go in and play with the setting though, like changing the name and adding a password to the wifi but thats it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones