app that shows GPS track on phone?

Last Updated:

1. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I see a bunch of apps to track phone on websites etc., but I am just looking for one that will show my current location on the Gmaps on the phone. If it has track saving option, OK.

I am going to try to clarify what I am trying to find in an app.

I want to see where I am on MY phone in REAL time as I drive. I can get this in the NAV mode only if I define a route, right? Sometimes I just want to see where I am (preferably with a breadcrumb trail) on the map. Be able to zoom in and out and choose layers.

locateA is the closest so far but seems to want to override my zoom choice.

Advertisement
  2. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

My Tracks, works fine for me.. will save a tracklog based on whatever interval you set.. i use it for geotagging photos

it's in the market (free)

-=< aaron >=-

3. drumtrucker

I was/am checking that out now. Trying to figure out where to share..

4. lucasfinley

lucasfinley Active Member

I personally like MyTracks but OutWalk is another good one

5. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Well-Known Member

The phone stores the location of where pictures were taken if GPS is turned on. IE. Has Geotagging embedding built in, turned on by default (or was on mine). Just found out about this tonight!

6. drumtrucker

I am going to try to clarify what I am trying to find in an app.

I want to see where I am on MY phone in REAL time as I drive. I can get this in the NAV mode only if I define a route, right? Sometimes I just want to see where I am (preferably with a breadcrumb trail) on the map. Be able to zoom in and out and choose layers.

locateA is the closest so far but seems to want to override my zoom choice.

7. aaron19953

Umm.. its called google maps
    Maps, menu, my location

Or the app I suggested earlier

8. drumtrucker

Neither one show your PROGRESS in real time.

9. aaron19953

they work like every other standalone gps unit..
    You start to move, your position sits in the center, and the map moves under your icon .. I'm missing what you're looking for

-=< aaron >=-

10. drumtrucker

I am possibly a victim of my 1.2 million miles of GPS navigation with a system in that the icon moves along the map and not the map under the icon (delorme street atlas).

I did try both Gmaps and MyTracks and they did not seem to be tracking. I will play with some more, but LocateA was/is interesting.

Anyone else fell free to pile on.

11. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

If the symbol stays put, open Menu and hit My Location. However, the screen is refreshed only when the symbol hits the border of the screen--or you refresh it... saves battery life through less CPU time?

My Maps tracks a clean track in real time on GM; you can export the track later and share it as a GPX file. Instamapper (www.instamapper.com, GPS Tracker, a free app on the Market) tracks your location on any Google Maps screen, including other smartphones, and keeps the track record on a personal, shared Web page (see above). It's a super combo, and works flawlessly on my Droid. Open GPS Tracker is another tracking app; it color-codes the tracks by speed in real time and in saved files, but in my tests it was a battery vampire and had to go...

12. aaron19953

Geez delome, i haven't used that in a dogs age.. I do remember the icon moved over the map.. I know in google maps when you do my location it will center your icon on the map, and the map moves.. However, if you move the map with your finger, your icon will move.. and eventually go off the screen.. Then just do menu, my location...

Also, if you have any other buddies who use google maps (or android), or family you can activate google Latitude.. It will show your buddies location on the map, or your friends can see you on their map.. Kinda cool, just a little creepy... haha.. You must invite your friends, and then you have a location accuracy option for each person.. ie real location, nearest city, or some location that you just pick..

I watched my wife drive to philly the other night, waiting for her to ask me what off ramp to get off of .. hehehe

Oh, and that is just google maps, menu, Latitude

-=< aaron >=-

13. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I think he meant geotagging photos taken with a real camera.

14. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

My Tracks is very cool! I like that it also tracks elevation.

Now if you could use Navigation and click My Tracks on while navigating your route, that would be a nice feature.

15. wlanguide

wlanguide New Member

My Tracks is good, so is instamapper.

You can also try mobile tracking system here, it worked for me.

16. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

REAL TIME TRAFFIC is what you are looking for. It will follow you and store your tracks. Plus gives you an idea of traffic conditions. I use it when I am just riding around to keep an eye on where I am at and what is in front of me. Yes it has layering also with POI.