• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

app to disable battery charging and plugged in?

jackal424

Nov 18, 2009
here is a weird question. Now I hate charging my battery before it drains off.

So if I wanted to stream music on the phone at work, do you think there is an app that'll disable battery charging if I have the phone plugged into power plug?

basically draw juice from wall and disable battery from use or charge.

To my knowledge you don't have to worry about charge cycling a lithium-ion battery. Discharging a lithium-ion battery to critically low levels may also be harmful.

Wikipedia says: "Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted below their minimum voltage (2.4 to 2.8 V/cell, depending on chemistry). If a lithium-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk that the charge will drop below the low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverable dead battery.[citation needed] Usually this does not instantly damage the battery itself but a charger or device which uses that battery will refuse to charge a dead battery. The battery appears to be dead or not existent because the protection circuit disables further discharging and there is zero voltage on the battery terminals."

Reference:
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
Hello,
I got similar question as the person opening this thread. I would like to find some way to disable charging on USB for particular reason. I would like to avoid battery drain from my notebook during mobile network sharing. It does really make significant difference. My device is HTC Hero European edition (not sprint - afaik only appearance is different).

regards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones