• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to download Podcasts??

Ezra4no1

Lurker
Aug 10, 2010
Anyone know of a decent podcast app that will download podcasts (preferably at user defined scheduled times) to your phone (even better the SD card)? My old Nokia n95 did this perfectly, but haven't seen such an app for the Android. I have seen some that will stream, but I don't care for streaming, I'm looking for it to download the podcasts.

Thx...

Doggcatcher is certainly the best available but it's not cheap compared to average app prices.

The best free app is probably Listen although it can be a bit buggy. It's a Google Labs experiment so it's normal that there are a few bugs but Google do seem to have forgotten about it a bit.

I'm actually quite surprised that there are not more quality Podcast apps as the mobile platform is perfect for it.

Upvote 0
I used a great app called PodTrapper on my BlackBerry, and if that developer did a version for Android I wouldn't hesitate to grab it. In the meantime I too use "Listen" which is indeed buggy and doesn't seem to be in a frequent update cycle either. I like the fact that Listen syncs with Google Reader, but some of the glitches are really irritating and I can see me dumping it in favour of trying something else if the next couple of updates don't start addressing those issues. So I suppose this is me saying try something other than Listen, and I'd also avoid Stitcher as, last time I looked anyway, there was no way of entering Podcast urls manually, so you could only choose from 'casts on their list, which didn't include most of my favourites.

Upvote 0
Addendum to my post above. It appears that there is now a Beta version of PodTrapper for Android. Will be trying that out shortly although it's only available as a direct download (Podtrapper OTA download) and not via Market or AppBrain. Will report back.

Looks quite good. It has A LOT of settings. It's only a 30 day trial though.

Upvote 0
Yep, it's got even more settings now than when I last used it on the BB in June. It's a 30 day trial for BlackBerry, but as of yet the dev, Versatile Monkey, have not set up registration for Android, which may be because the only available Android version is in Beta. Nevertheless I am happy to pay for this knowing how good it is ($9.99), but can't do so at the moment anyway, so this may be a good time to jump in and grab what might be an extended trial or even turn into a free app.

Upvote 0
Yep, it's got even more settings now than when I last used it on the BB in June. It's a 30 day trial for BlackBerry, but as of yet the dev, Versatile Monkey, have not set up registration for Android, which may be because the only available Android version is in Beta. Nevertheless I am happy to pay for this knowing how good it is ($9.99), but can't do so at the moment anyway, so this may be a good time to jump in and grab what might be an extended trial or even turn into a free app.

Well the first pop-up I got with the Android version is 'This is a 30 day trial'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones