• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App to edit the SIM card phone number

The reason age-old phones can do it and modern phones can't is that keeping phone numbers on the SIM card is age-old technology. Come into the 21st century and keep your contacts on Google Contacts.

Of course i keep my contacts on Google.

I'm not talking about contacts phone numbers here. I'm taking about the phone number of the actual sim card. Ie your phone number that appears in about phone>status

Upvote 0
Out of interest, why would you want to?

When I look up the phone number in Settings -> About phone -> Status it shows the original number associated with my SIM but AFAICT this doesn't actually affect anything and my phone works perfectly with the real number.

When you get your old number transferred via PAC code.
Once the transfer is complete, your phone number changes (as in the new phone now rings for the original phone number), but on the SIM, the temporary phone number that you were given will remain on there.
This can possibly have an adverse affect on any apps that might read this number for any reason

Upvote 0
Sorry, I may not have made myself clear. I know why this happens, what I meant was why should you care.

My SIM has had the wrong number for the last year and I have never had any problems. No app I have ever used appears to use the number on the SIM.

Do you use apps that are confused by the SIM number being different to the actual number? I'd be interested to know which ones.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I may not have made myself clear. I know why this happens, what I meant was why should you care.

My SIM has had the wrong number for the last year and I have never had any problems. No app I have ever used appears to use the number on the SIM.

Do you use apps that are confused by the SIM number being different to the actual number? I'd be interested to know which ones.

Nothing specific that I know of, but you just never know if something might need to read that information.
It's more a case of OCD I guess...I dont like seeing the incorrect phone number in about phone>status
:)

Really speaking, this should be automatically updated within the process of the network operator updating the number.

Upvote 0
In about device on all different Androids (ie for me Samsung) I've ever owned the phone number has always been "unknown". It did bother me when I first got my SGSII, so much so that I actually asked Vodafone about it. They had no answer why this should happen and were ignorant of the fact. They actually tried various Vodafone SIM cards in various phones and the result was always "Unknown", they didn't know why, and I got the impression they thought me slightly odd that I thought it could be an issue.

Upvote 0
I registered just to say thank you, Hawker, for this thread.

Having the correct number on the SIM is required to use group MMS functionality in Google Hangouts. Otherwise each reply comes to your phone as an individual text.

I've struggled with this for a year before I found this thread.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones