• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to monitor kids and restrict them on the fly?

dorlow

Android Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2014
Ok, we've tried giving our oldest daughter a phone in the past and we usually end up getting mad and taking it away because she's not doing what she's told. But it would be really nice if she had one so we could get a hold of her after school.

What I'm thinking would be really cool and make a phone work for her even when she's grounded is some app I could put on it that can't be uninstalled or changed by her. Then if she's ungrounded, I could unlock the whole phone remotely from some website. I could hopefully get a summary of what and who she's talking to...

But then that day comes around and she's grounded. We won't take the phone away. But we can login to that website and lock her phone down so no apps work and the only person she can call is us, her parents. Does such an app exist?

But isn't two sims basically two phone bills?
No, one sim, two phones. So whatever smartphone you prefer, then a cheap flip phone for when she is grounded. Yank the sim from the smart phone and put it in the dumb phone. She would still be able to make calls and text, but no apps or web which means no facebook, twitter, etc. but you would still be able to get in touch with her.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
OK, so you want an unlocked phone that uses a sim, like the moto x or nexus 5x or nexus p or iphone. Just make sure that it uses a GSM sim. Cricket will sells a sim kit for $9.99, but I bet you could find a code and get a discount. I'm not a customer, but I think I've heard of that before. Once you have picked a primary, non child grounded phone, you can grab a dumb phone that is also GSM and unlocked. They list one, but it is for $50. I'm sure you can find one new or used for far cheaper for the grounded phone. I'm making two assumptions here that I would with my sons, you don't expect them to be grounded much (I hope, even though it turns out more than I like :( ) and that you don't care about aesthetics, really, the uglier, the better.

Then, when you need to move from the ungrounded phone to the grounded phone (and vice versa) you simply pop out the sim from one phone and pop it in another. I'd take posession of the non-grounded phone while the grounded phone is in use too, so it can't be used on WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones